Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting error code: 0x80070002 updating Microsoft store apps

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:35 PM

I keep getting the code: 0x80070002 when I'm trying to update apps in the Microsoft store. I've tried multiple ideas from various articles and nothing seems to work. I've turned back on UAC and went back to using my Microsoft Login to sign into the computer (neither of which I really wanted to do) but neither of those changes had any effect. I did a repair installation of Windows 10 again with no effect.

Any ideas what else I should try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:36 PM

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fixed-error-code-0x80070002-windows-update/#Windows1

#3 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:37 PM

You can also open Command Prompt (run as administrator) type :  wsreset    (hit enter) this will reset all windows store settings and clear the cache.

#4 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

Mason  , Thanks for the suggestions however none of them helped in any way. Any idea of what else I can try?

I would do a clean reinstallation of everything but I have AutoCAD in several additional design packages installed that are very complex to reinstall. In addition, because of my disability I have to use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to control my computer and during a complete reinstallation quite a bit has to be done prior to installing Dragon (or even using Windows speech recognition for that matter)

#5 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

You can do a repair install. 

I would suggest going to msconfig and running a "safe boot" with "networking" and turn your anti-virus to not start with windows. Then do the steps in the video. You will have the latest build (1803) after if you are successful. 

Edited by Mason21, 19 June 2018 - 05:00 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

Please do the following.

Reset Windows Update Components.

Open notebook, copy and paste the code below in the notebook.  In Windows 8.1 and 10 you will have to open Search and type in notebook.  Notebook will appear in the results, click/tap on it to open notebook.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

Once you have pasted this in notebook click on File and select Save as and save it as "WUReset.bat", include the quotation marks.

Right click on the batch file and select Run as administrator.

Restart the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for your help and ideas.

I created and ran back file like you suggested. Below is a screenshot of the results. Not sure if I'm not sure if some of the files I couldn't find are important or not. The end result is still having the same problem was being able to update or download anything from the Window Store.

Attached Files

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:08 AM

I would suggest doing a Reset.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security

O7p5cKL.png

Then Recovery, and Get Started.

VoWZmo6.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:06 PM

Since this option will blow away all your programs anyway what's the advantage of doing it compared to just a full reinstallation of Windows 10? I have my operating system and programs installed on my c: drive which is an SSD and all of my data on my d: drive which is a traditional spinning drive so my data wouldn't be a problem in either case.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

Since this option will blow away all your programs anyway what's the advantage of doing it compared to just a full reinstallation of Windows 10? I have my operating system and programs installed on my c: drive which is an SSD and all of my data on my d: drive which is a traditional spinning drive so my data wouldn't be a problem in either case.

I'm guessing you missed my last post where I explained that a Reset would reinstall the operating system and give you the option to save your personal data or remove everything.  You can keep you personal data.  The only downside is that you would need to reinstall any third party programs you previously had installed.

Edited by dc3, 22 June 2018 - 12:22 PM.

#11 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:50 PM

I'm guessing you missed my last post where I explained that a Reset would reinstall the operating system and give you the option to save your personal data or remove everything.  You can keep you personal data.  The only downside is that you would need to reinstall any third party programs you previously had installed.

I did see your last post and that's why I asked the question. Since doing the reset is going to force me to reinstall all of my third-party applications (I have quite a few including AutoCAD and several add-ins for it) I don't see any advantage to doing the reset instead of a complete reinstallation. My data is on a separate drive anyway so that's not an issue.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

You stated that you had data split between the hdd and the ssd.  Whatever third party programs you have installed on the ssd will be uninstalled, but you can save all of your other data... documents, pictures, etc.  I would guess that this would be considerably quicker and easier than doing a clean install.  But the options are all open and up to your discretion as to what works best for you.  Good luck. :thumbup2:

#13 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:45 PM

Thanks

#14 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 540 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

If you would like to try a couple more things then I recommend perform the following.

Step 1:
Download and run the Winsows update troubleshooter
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

Step 2:
1. Click on Start icon
2. Type Command
3. Right click on Command Prompt and select to Run As Administrator
4. Copy and Paste the following into Command Prompt
dism /online /get-packages > 0 & notepad 0
5. Save the file and upload to your reply

#15 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I downloaded and ran the troubleshooter and then did step 2.  The resulting file is attached.

Attached Files

Edited by Msradell, 27 June 2018 - 06:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users