Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I stop Win10 from altering MP4 date/time when transferring files?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 donholl

donholl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

I apologize if this has been addressed before - none of the searches I've tried (here or elsewhere) found threads directly addressing the problem.

When I transfer MP4 files from SD cards to my Win10 "Videos" folder, they have recently started changing either both the recording date and time - or just the time - to the current one (and subsequent files in a multi-file transfer to future times - on the same elapsed-time interval as the original files).

Making it even weirder is that it's intermittent - sometimes files still transfer with all details remaining identical, as was traditionally the case.

This is really inconvenient, as I need the correct info for reference purposes (the files are often of bands I'm not familiar with, and I need to be able to identify them at a later time).

Can anyone explain 1) what is happening here - and 2) how to make it stop?

Thanks in advance!

Addendum: I took a file that altered when I copied it to the PC - and had been deleted from the SD card - and copied it back: it restored the original date/time data on the card, which infers to me that the correct data is being overlaid/"camouflaged" in some way on the PC. Frustrating!  

Edited by donholl, 19 June 2018 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:23 PM

What kind of camcorder/video device are you using and

what software are you using to transfer the file?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 donholl

donholl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

A Kodak "Playtouch" (aka ZI10, I think). I'm not using any dedicated software - just a drag/drop from an Explorer window for the SD card to another for the "Videos" folder on the C drive.

I've been able to do this hundreds of times without the attributes changing - this is a recent - and intermittent - issue. 

Thanks for responding!

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:48 AM

I have a Sony video camera (FDR-AX100) which uses proprietary software to import the files into my system and it sorts everything by date and time automatically. I also import many videos from an Android phone which gets sorted by date through Windows file explorer. I am using Windows 10 1803.

I am still exploring this issue.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:15 AM

Hi donholl

There are numerous 3d. party programs to accomplish your mission
My choice is RoboCopy.exe located in the System32 folder. A command line program built into Windows since Windows Vista. It is a bit complicated to learn overnight so  I recommend an easy to use, easy to understand alternative: Robocopy GUI 3.1.1 offered by Microsoft TechNet.

These instructions may look complicated because of detail but really they're not!
1. Search the term: features
a. Open: Turn Windows features on or off

2. Verify that .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) is marked
a. If yes you are good to go to step 3
b. If no click the box proceeding .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and click OK
c. Allow Windows to download the necessary files... you will be notified upon completion
d. Close all windows

3. Open your browser and navigate to: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2006.11.utilityspotlight.aspx
a. Click the link UtilitySpotlight2006_11.exe to download the Robocopy GUI 3.1.1 bundle
b. When the 1.0MB. download finishes go to the location where you saved the UtilitySpotlight2006_11.exe download

4. Right click the UtilitySpotlight2006_11.exe and choose Run as administrator
a. Click Yes on the UAC window (if applicable) to launch the unzip process
b. Read the licence agreement and click Yes to accept
c. You will be asked to Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to.
d. The default is C:\
e. Click Ok
f. You will be notified when the unzip is complete
g. Click Ok
h. Go to the location that you saved the unzipped files to and open the folder named UtilitySpotlight

5. The Microsoft Robocopy GUI Users Guide.doc requires Microsoft Word
a. if you have Microsoft Word installed you are good to go to step 6
b. Open Microsoft Store App search and install Word Mobile

6. Follow the Microsoft Robocopy GUI Users Guide.doc to install and use Microsoft Robocopy GUI

I sincerely hope this helps

Old Rocker

#6 donholl

donholl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

I'll check this out as an option - thanks, Old Rocker!

If anyone else reads this thread - and has an explanation for what's suddenly causing my PC to alter the data, after not doing it for 4+ years - I'd love to eventually get to the "root cause".

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:00 AM

Just a few thoughts for you to browse on

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/ac9248ed-4a84-4589-b00c-6791064d287b/keeping-the-date-modified-the-same-when-doing-a-copy?forum=w7itproui

#8 donholl

donholl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:20 AM

This also looks helpful - thanks much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users