Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP computer internet connectivity issues...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

My modem died this past weekend and I bought a Motorola MG7550 to replace it. I've gone through, set it up, and got everything reconnected and operational with the exception of an old Win XP netbook I occasionally use to get online. The netbook will  connect to the MG7550's wireless network, the signal is strong, but I am unable to access the internet.

Can anyone recommend any settings I can check that might resolve this issue? Any help appreciated.

Edited by mjl1297, 18 June 2018 - 05:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:30 PM

it's been a while, but i do remember encryption problems with logging in.  for a test log into your modem and change the encryption to wep if it's set for wpk2

if it works try wpk next,  you'll be better off if you can use wpk.

also make sure you xp is has the service pack 3 installed.

#3 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for the reply. It turned out to be something as simple as an obsolete driver.

Once I updated that the problem disappeared!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users