Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:02 PM

Quoted from the video “FOBOS Planet (June 17, 2018): New great lava flow in Hawaii 2018. Stunning video of a giant lava river, powered by the Fissure #8, a fast flow of Lava drains in direction of Kapoho Bay, Hawaii. The fountain at fissure 8 has been reaching heights of 175-200 feet, and the cone surrounding the fissure is now 170 feet high! Fissures 16, 18, and now 15, which is by Pohoiki road have all seem some oozing and minor lava spattering.

Video:

Isn’t this river of lava flowing unbelievable!  I wish I could hop on a plane to Kona to take in this incredible fate of Mother Nature. It’s been @ 10 years since I stayed on the Kona side of the Big Island and visited the Kilauea volcano park. We were able to walk as close as allowed to see the hot flow of lava, a mind boggling view! Has anyone else seen the volcano? Are you taking a trip soon to see it active?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:07 PM

Even if I had the funds to go there, I wouldn't. Lovely to look at from a distance perhaps, but it's deadly.

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/blogs/surreal-images-kilauea-volcano-eruption
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:33 PM

OB...great article! :) The trauma and terror is insurmountable and as you say, deadly.  :( ( My wish is more metaphorical than any possibility of me ever placing myself in danger, my son needs me.) Along with your article I sure hope that all residents and visitors take heed to the directives of all of the agencies. 

Another video: 

#4 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:33 PM

Were I able to, viewing the volcano and lava would be phenomenal. All we have nearby are rinky-dink Saltan Sea mud eruptions :) -

Mud-Volcano-20101.jpg
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#5 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

r.a.d. ...... and what causes these? Too many golfers teeing off shaking up the clay?  :lmao:

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

softeyes, unfortunately no, it's the San Andreas fault at fault. :)

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

Was just reading about those a little while ago.  I didn't get to the article I was reading earlier, but here is another one:

http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2008/01/salton-sea-mud-volcanoes.html

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:33 PM

Wow..this information is fascinating! Just when I think I have covered a lot of territory close to me, there's always something new to discover, thanks guys. r.a.d. do you see them outside of your area? Laugh with me, for years I have "wished" I could afford a retreat at the Golden Door (https://goldendoor.com/your-stay/spa/) never did I connect the dots that the desert mud they use might be from the Salton Sea! I'll probably never get to enjoy the pleasure at their prices for a mud (clay) treatment  :oneeye:

Golden_Door.jpg

OB...I appreciate your warnings about the dangers of volcano lava, check out this story about the dangers of mud volcanoes::

https://www.saltonseawalk.com/salton-sea-mud-volcanos-and-quicksand-danger/

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:46 AM

softeyes, a quick clarification: the Andreas fault isn't directly responsible (or golfers) for that mud, geothermal heat is, but some new mud pots discovered some time back indicated further fault structures beneath the ground. 

That spa you posted sounds like something my wife would certainly enjoy, mud baths and all if we had the money, but... ain't really a guy thing. :)

Our hearts are out for those affected by the Kilauea volcano and wish the best for them.

BTW, the Salton Sea used to be a desert paradise:

postcard2.jpg

Edit/add: Orange Blossom, the MNN article & photos we're incredible! I'd meant to mention that earlier.

Edited by r.a.d., 19 June 2018 - 12:14 PM.

#10 MicMac33

MicMac33

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:54 AM

Carpathian Wonders - Mud Volcanoes (Romania)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llrlOD_efIA

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users