Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird AOL Emails

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MadDemon64

MadDemon64

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:32 AM

I use AOL for all my email needs.  I open Google Chrome, log into AOL.com, check out my email, and so on.  Lately I have received a few obvious spam/scam emails and I have accidentally clicked on them once or twice.  I don't click any links in them or anything, but they are open on my browser for maybe a second or three before they go right in the spam folder, never to see the light of day again.

However, many of these spam/scam emails have one strange oddity: the AOL email page says they have attachments thanks to the handy little paperclip icon, but when I open them, I don't see any attachment.  The AOL site still claims these emails have attachments, but there is not a single one to be found.  What is going on?  Is the AOL web client scanning the attachments for viruses, finding one (or some) and automatically removing the attachments to keep me safe?  Are these spam scammers attaching a weird macro or something into their emails to keep the attachments hidden (and possibly download them onto my computer without my knowing)?  Or is the AOL email site just false positiving attachments where none exist?

I'm confident I don't have a virus because none of the scans I've run show anything, but I just want to be sure and know what's going on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:44 PM

If they have a graphic in the "signature" that often shows up as an attachment but is not ever placed in the conventional attachments list for download.

I would not be overly concerned about anything that downloads to your computer via e-mail as far as the item itself (as opposed to stuff that could be at the end of the embedded links they're hoping you'll activate) goes when it comes to viruses.

Most of the majors virus scan material before it can even be allowed to remain resident on their servers and virtually all contemporary antivirus or security suite software will also scan individual messages as they are downloaded and quarantine them before you can even touch them if an infection vector is part of the message itself.

Not that I recommend opening these messages, but the above being the case it is now well-nigh impossible to get an infection via e-mail by simply opening the message.  If you recognize something as spam it's best to just delete it, and it sounds like that's your regular practice.  We all get a twitchy finger every once in a while and open something we'd not intended to open.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 MadDemon64

MadDemon64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

If they have a graphic in the "signature" that often shows up as an attachment but is not ever placed in the conventional attachments list for download.

I would not be overly concerned about anything that downloads to your computer via e-mail as far as the item itself (as opposed to stuff that could be at the end of the embedded links they're hoping you'll activate) goes when it comes to viruses.

Most of the majors virus scan material before it can even be allowed to remain resident on their servers and virtually all contemporary antivirus or security suite software will also scan individual messages as they are downloaded and quarantine them before you can even touch them if an infection vector is part of the message itself.

Not that I recommend opening these messages, but the above being the case it is now well-nigh impossible to get an infection via e-mail by simply opening the message.  If you recognize something as spam it's best to just delete it, and it sounds like that's your regular practice.  We all get a twitchy finger every once in a while and open something we'd not intended to open.

Great to know.  I don't think there was any graphic in the signature, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users