Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitlocker turned itself on and no way to access laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ClearFocus

ClearFocus

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

We have NO idea how to gain access to this laptop.  It is owned by a Doctor's office and when one doctor left, he left it encrypted by accident.  He provided a key and we were able to access it. Since that time, another Doc has been using it and all of a sudden it starts up with a Bitlocker screen requiring a encryption key.  We no longer know how to contact the previous doctor and the current doc did not turn on bitlocker.  I have not been able to determine a way to gain access to the laptop in any way.  We'd simply like to turn OFF any kind of encryption from every being placed on the laptop given we don't need or want it.  It is only causing issues.

I attempted going into advanced options and loading a HDD image, but there was no image/partition found.

Can anyone assist?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

I'm assuming the key that was provided by the first doctor does not work. I'm not sure it will work in your case but if a Microsoft Account was used to login to the computer it may be stored on Microsoft servers.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026181/windows-10-find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key

#3 ClearFocus

ClearFocus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

I'm assuming the key that was provided by the first doctor does not work. I'm not sure it will work in your case but if a Microsoft Account was used to login to the computer it may be stored on Microsoft servers.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026181/windows-10-find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key

Apparently no one documented that original key.  And, there is no MS account associated with the laptop according to the latest Doc's information.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:35 AM

If no one documented the key then I think the only option is a reset/drive wipe and an OS reinstall. I'm not sure if a Professional Data Recovery service would be able to do it but in any case the process would not be cheap. Edit: The problem being Bitlocker uses the TPM chip in the computer along with the key to decrypt the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 June 2018 - 10:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users