Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What does this mean?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

I've got a Dell Inspiron laptop with Win7 Home installed.  I used to have a subscription to Outpost Firewall Pro until the company dropped this utility and therefore I cannot get tech support from them.  However even though this app no longer received updates, it's still running.

Recently Outpost reported the following activity on my laptop.

System attempts to listen a port

Process: System

Local Address: local:any, TCPv6:5700

This was soon followed by the same message but the Local Address was local:any, TCPv6:8884

Not long after that I received this popup

Application rated as untrusted is attempting to modify another application's memory.

Process:  TMP1E3A.TMP.EXE

Target Process:  NTOSKRNL.EXE

What exactly did Outpost Pro detect and should I have allowed it or blocked it?

Thank you

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2018 - 09:43 AM.
Moved from Gen Security to Firewalls - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

Thats a feature of Outposts firewall called HIPS: Host intrusion prevention system. It monitors system behavior events in real time that could be a result of malware, it dosnt mean it iis a malware event but rather it is just alerting you to suspicious behavior.

Check Outposts documentation.

On a side note since its no longer being developed or updated you might want to find another firewall.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

Hi, Christechie!

Since you have Windows 7, I would recommend Windows Firewall (which is free) instead of Outpost Firewall Pro.

Nowadays, there is no longer any need for 3rd-party firewalls, as Windows Firewall is one of the best and offers the best integration with Windows OS (it is built-in).

However, if you are a power-user, you might want to consider GlassWire (free or paid [Basic, Pro or Elite]), but that is up to you.

https://www.howtogeek.com/165203/why-you-dont-need-to-install-a-third-party-firewall-and-when-you-do/

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/5-reasons-why-windows-firewall-one-best-firewalls

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

I've got a Dell Inspiron laptop with Win7 Home installed.  I used to have a subscription to Outpost Firewall Pro until the company dropped this utility and therefore I cannot get tech support from them.  However even though this app no longer received updates, it's still running.

Recently Outpost reported the following activity on my laptop.

System attempts to listen a port

Process: System

Local Address: local:any, TCPv6:5700

This was soon followed by the same message but the Local Address was local:any, TCPv6:8884

Not long after that I received this popup

Application rated as untrusted is attempting to modify another application's memory.

Process:  TMP1E3A.TMP.EXE

Target Process:  NTOSKRNL.EXE

What exactly did Outpost Pro detect and should I have allowed it or blocked it?

Thank you

Block it.

Very suspicious filename. Type into google search ".tmp.exe" for a whole mess of possible issues.

Review Outpost logs to see what might have put it in. System log might tell you.

Review startup items.

Outpost is more than fine to use on Windows7, IMO. In addition to superb packet filtering it watches for any crapware that might sneak in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users