Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I mix a low vlt 8 gb DDR3L with a 5 volt DDR3L? Dell E6420 i72720QM

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chrisarnt

chrisarnt

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

Correction:  

Can I mix a low vlt 8 gb DDR3L with a 1.5 volt 4 gb DDR3L? Dell E6420 i72720QM

I have a Dell E6420 i72720QM with Win 7 Pro 64 Bit. currently running 8 gb of ram, pushing two external monitors. 

I use it as a general purpose full time desktop for real estate appraisal work. 

It bogs down with chrome and my appraisal software, sometimes the RAM usage is 67% and it gets glitchy. 

The system is rated for 8 b of ram 2x4gb ddr3. 

I've read that a few people have got it to accept 2x8gb for a total of 16 gb. 

Another source suggested low voltage ram even though specs are for 1.5 volt ram. 

I'm not going to do any bios hacking or registry editing to make this work. 

Just plug n play. 

Since this may or may not work I was going to try 1 stick of 8 gb ddr3l ram along with one of my existing sticks. 

If my current sticks are 1.5 volt, can I mix and match 1.3 volt 8 gb stick in there? 

Edited by chrisarnt, 18 June 2018 - 08:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

The answer appears to be 'Probably yes, and possibly no!', see this article here -

https://jphein.com/can-i-put-ddr3l-ram-in-a-ddr3-slot/

While the general advice is not to 'mix and match' RAM but to use sticks from the one manufacturer and the same spec, that is only the general advice. Low voltage RAM is capable of operating at 1.5V so you are not going to blow it up. I think the worst that will happen is that your computer won't see it because you have exceeded the design limit of 8GB, but as you say you have heard people have said they can get this computer to run with 16GB. Try it and see ?  I have 2x4GB and 2x2GB running in my own desktop and it all seems to work together quite happily.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users