Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace Vista with Win 7 on laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 woods555

woods555

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:21 AM

The lap top is Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista and I want to install Win 7. Should I use same HDD or purchase new HDD with Win 7 installed and is there anything else I need to know? Thanks for any help.

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2018 - 06:58 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:07 AM

you dont need a new hard drive if yours is working,

you need to create a bootable windows 7 USB stick,

download a windows 7 ISO and use RUFUS to do this,

then you need to purchase a windows 7 product code, you can get them on ebay for as little as 15 bucks

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:53 AM

Before getting too far along it would be prudent to tell us your Service Tag number of your Dell and we can check to see if Dell has Windows 7 drivers for that unit - or you can check yourself.

If they don't have Windows 7 drivers some folks have good luck using the Vista drivers on a Windows 7 install - sometimes.

Have you decided the Windows Edition (Home, Pro, etc.) and architecture (32 or 64-bit) of your desire?  Of course you cna't put a 64-bit OS on only a 32-bit capable system.

I'm glad you already know how/where to download a Windows 7 ISO already, right?  It won't be from Microsoft.

I'm glad you already know how to take the ISO you download and how to make a bootable DVD or USB device, right?

When you hunt on Amazon for that 25 character Product Key it must match your Windows Edition for it to activate properly.  I guess links are not necessary, right?

I'm pretty sure you will not be able to purchase a HDD with Windows 7 already installed and expect it to work in your Dell.

Edited by joseibarra, 18 June 2018 - 08:41 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 woods555

woods555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:56 AM

joseibarra,

Thank you for help with this problem.

Your obvious immense knowledge suggest an exceeding of all ordinary bounds in size and amount of intelligence.

No doubt you have accumulated a vast understanding of computers which can only be acquired through experience and education. Right?

Anyone who reads your post will immediately grasp your superior intelligence and your problem solving abilities. Right?

You sure weren't bashful about showing yourself to be feverishly erudite and a wizard phrasemaker.

I'm sure that after your post you felt so good about yourself. Good for you.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:34 AM

If you are able to get Windows 7 installed and working on your Dell with the instructions you have received so far, then you are the one with superior intelligence and problem solving abilities.

How would you say it is going so far?

Edited by joseibarra, 27 June 2018 - 03:38 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users