Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempted CPU upgrade & now nothing displays

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 freestud

freestud

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:41 PM

Hey all, I've got an issue with a custom build that I could use help on. 

I put this video editing build together about 9 months ago and it has working fine until recently when I decided to switch my Ryzen 1700 for the new 2700X. No matter what I do, I can't get anything to display on either of my screens; no post, no UEFI, no nothing. The parts list of the original build is at the bottom of this post.

I got the 2700X and was excited to switch it in. I didn't think to check what I needed to do first and hadn't updated the BIOS in a while. I turned off the PC & unscrewed the old cooler to access the 1700. When I pulled out the cooler, the 1700 came with it, which made me nervous, but no pins were missing. Then I put the 2700X in and the computer started up (I had forgotten to unplug it), so I turned it off quickly. Then I installed the new cooler & started up the PC, but nothing came up on either screen. I switched to the onboard HDMI to see if that worked; no luck. I switched monitors; no luck.

So I removed the 2700X & put the 1700 back in place. Mind you, with all this switching, I was getting a bit of thermal paste on my hands, but trying to make sure to keep it off the pins. Started it up and the same issue. Also in the process, I found that 3 pins on the 1700 and 1 on the 2700X had been bent pretty drastically. I straightened them out and tested them again, making sure to seat them gently. No luck.

I've tried removing the GPU (1050ti), reseating the memory, switching the memory, reseating all cables, removing all usb cables (except keyboard/mouse), shorting CMOS clear pins, removing CMOS battery, and more, but I'm getting no luck.

This is my only editing rig and right now it's holding up completing projects for clients. I'm also wasting my Father's Day trying to get this figured out. 

I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thank you.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ptg7jc

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($88.12 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($360.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($117.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($58.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($18.49 @ Amazon) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($39.99) 
Monitor: LG - 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($334.94 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1469.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-17 21:30 EDT-0400

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2018 - 04:48 AM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JJosh

JJosh

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your problem, but after unscrewing the cooler, twist it a little so you don't have to pull the CPU out dangerously.

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:05 AM

See the BIOS version for the 2700 X.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-5-rev-10#support-cpu

Hopefully your previously bent pins didn't cause any serious damage. I would have another look.

I personally won't have another AMD processor having gone through bent pin issues in the past.

Edited by saw101, 18 June 2018 - 01:12 AM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:50 PM

If it doesn't work with the 2700X due to BIOS incompatibility, then it should at least work with the 1700, at least after a BIOS reset.  The fact it doesn't suggests some damage may have been done by the CPU being yanked out with the heatsink.

The pin density on these processors is so high that bent pins could be a serious problem.  I remember having the issue with the CPU coming out with the heatsink on a very old AMD processor - socket 7 something or other, and it bent a significant number of pins (it didn't pull out straight, but at an angle, mangling the pins in the process).  As this was a long time ago and the pin density wasn't so high I was able to fix it with the barrel of a mechanical pencil, using that to individually straighten all the bent ones - and that processor went on to serve for years.  I really wouldn't fancy doing something similar with a Ryzen, though.

Here's an article on inspecting and correcting bent pins - http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/76032-fixing-bent-pins-amds-ryzen-pga-cpus.html .  If pins have broken off like the one pictured in the article, then it's beyond economic repair I fear.

Something I found helpful when inspecting pins for damage (on an LGA motherboard as it happened, but the principle should be the same on a PGA processor) is taking high resolution photo's of the pins, in good light, at different angles.  For some reason, with me at least, this seemed to help over just looking over them with a magnifying glass in locating bent or missing pins.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 freestud

freestud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the response jonuk76. I was able to get all of the pins back into place and with some gentle placement, the CPU was reseated without any issues. However it's hard to know if something might have been damaged in the process with pins touching eachother, etc.

At this point, I'm hoping to get the motherboard tested and most likely replaced. I'm not sure what else to do.

If it doesn't work with the 2700X due to BIOS incompatibility, then it should at least work with the 1700, at least after a BIOS reset.  The fact it doesn't suggests some damage may have been done by the CPU being yanked out with the heatsink.

The pin density on these processors is so high that bent pins could be a serious problem.  I remember having the issue with the CPU coming out with the heatsink on a very old AMD processor - socket 7 something or other, and it bent a significant number of pins (it didn't pull out straight, but at an angle, mangling the pins in the process).  As this was a long time ago and the pin density wasn't so high I was able to fix it with the barrel of a mechanical pencil, using that to individually straighten all the bent ones - and that processor went on to serve for years.  I really wouldn't fancy doing something similar with a Ryzen, though.

Here's an article on inspecting and correcting bent pins - http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/76032-fixing-bent-pins-amds-ryzen-pga-cpus.html .  If pins have broken off like the one pictured in the article, then it's beyond economic repair I fear.

Something I found helpful when inspecting pins for damage (on an LGA motherboard as it happened, but the principle should be the same on a PGA processor) is taking high resolution photo's of the pins, in good light, at different angles.  For some reason, with me at least, this seemed to help over just looking over them with a magnifying glass in locating bent or missing pins.

#6 freestud

freestud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

Just an update. I replaced the motherboard with a Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming and put the 2700X in and everything is working fine. Seems like that points to the problem being in the mobo. Thanks for the help

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

Well, good to know - thanks for the update  and glad you've now got a working system anyway :)

Did you find out if the 1700 was damaged or did you understandably not wish to risk it in a new motherboard?

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users