Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions Re Using XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 justindaniels

justindaniels

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

I try to be careful as to what websites I visit, but since my computer is old, any web browsing done in windows 7 is very slow, and videos are horrible quality. I can't get a new computer just yet, but when I do, I won't use XP much for web browsing anymore (but still keep it for offline use).

While I have to use XP, what is the best free antivirus and the best web browser I could use? (I know it won't be completely safe to use XP, but I want it to at least be as safe as possible.

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2018 - 07:37 PM.
Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/677918/using-xp-in-2018/ - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted Yesterday, 05:51 AM

AVAST free installed without bloat (custom installation). Panda Free is also good. AVIRA. There are a lot to choose from.

As for browser I recommend Firefox.

Don't forget to add Malwarebytes AntiExploit as an added security layer (it will work for most browsers and it's free)

And then, you can download Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)'s RKILL and run it before AdwCleaner to have a second opinion scanner.

In fact, I would run RKILL+AdwCleaner before installing anything. DO NOT reboot PC after running RKILL...

#3 MarkMackerel

MarkMackerel

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted Today, 09:04 AM

Hackers have created software that scans the internet for people using vulnerable OS's, especially XP so you are taking a pretty big risk no matter what AV you have

Edited by MarkMackerel, Today, 09:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users