Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions Re Using XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 justindaniels

justindaniels

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

I try to be careful as to what websites I visit, but since my computer is old, any web browsing done in windows 7 is very slow, and videos are horrible quality. I can't get a new computer just yet, but when I do, I won't use XP much for web browsing anymore (but still keep it for offline use).

While I have to use XP, what is the best free antivirus and the best web browser I could use? (I know it won't be completely safe to use XP, but I want it to at least be as safe as possible.

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2018 - 07:37 PM.
Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/677918/using-xp-in-2018/ - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:51 AM

AVAST free installed without bloat (custom installation). Panda Free is also good. AVIRA. There are a lot to choose from.

As for browser I recommend Firefox.

Don't forget to add Malwarebytes AntiExploit as an added security layer (it will work for most browsers and it's free)

And then, you can download Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)'s RKILL and run it before AdwCleaner to have a second opinion scanner.

In fact, I would run RKILL+AdwCleaner before installing anything. DO NOT reboot PC after running RKILL...

#3 MarkMackerel

MarkMackerel

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:04 AM

Hackers have created software that scans the internet for people using vulnerable OS's, especially XP so you are taking a pretty big risk no matter what AV you have

Edited by MarkMackerel, 21 June 2018 - 09:04 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:06 PM

Keep in mind that an anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected rather than block or prevent the infection in the first place. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection. Zemana AntiMalware, Malwarebytes 3.0 and RogueKiller Anti-malware free all support Windows XP.

XP users should also stop using Internet Explorer since that version is no longer supported and is vulnerable to attack and exploits. Instead, they should use an updated alternate browser.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 bellgamin

bellgamin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:46 PM

K-meleon is a very very light browser for XP. No good for Win versions post XP, but grrreat for XP.

Of course you know that XP is not as secure as later Windows versions. If you aren't already doing this (& if your computer is free of infection), I suggest that you image your system drive at least every few days. Good imaging software: Macrium Reflect free. It's best to image to an external drive. I have XP on my destop computer* -- I image every 2 days & retain about 3 weeks of images. If I get a nasty, I just restore a clean image and Poof! life is grrrreat again.  :apple:

*Win7 on my 2 laptops

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:10 AM

Backing up data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis to protect themselves from malware infection, yet it's still one of the most neglected areas.IMPORTANT!!! When implementing a backup strategy include testing to ensure it works before an emergency arises; routinely check to verify backups are being made and stored properly; and isolate all backups from the network or home computer...if not, you risk ransomware infecting them when it strikes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users