Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft allowable PC hard wear upgrade before new licence required

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 itekweni

itekweni

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hi just a question that is bothering me is my motherboard Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 is starting to get a little out dated so was wondering how much of an upgrade I could do before Microsoft sees these upgrades and refuses to activate my windows 10 Pro.  thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:09 PM

Microsoft has nothing to do with what version of Windows any user installs.

What "upgrades" are you referring to?

The only item/component that can invalidate a Windows license or activation...is a change of motherboard, along with an OEM license.  Changing any other component...has no effect at all on ability to activate a legal install or reinstall of Windows.

Louis

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

If we can ignore enterprise licensing then traditionally there have been two types of MS license - retail and OEM. Both have been tied to the mobo but with the retail version you had the right to move to a different mobo three times with automatic authentication. The OEM version is tied to one mobo and cannot be moved to another mobo or computer. Basically, MS sees a different mobo as a different computer. As far as I know, MS continues this retail/OEM distinction with Win 10.

Since we are dealing with MS, nothing is quite as simple as this. MS does accept that mobos and CPUs can fail and you are allowed to replace these components as a repair. Where it gets 'gray' is that say two years or more down the line you may not be able to find identical replacements and have to use newer components and these replacements are inevitably going to be something of an upgrade. When this happens normally a phone call to your country MS authentication service will get you authenticated and you are good to go. Sometimes the new mobo will authenticate automatically.

I have only had to phone MS once, quite a long time ago, and there was no problem once I got to a real person, I think I was using XP at the time. Almost exactly two years ago I got one warning that my CPU was about to die - which let me shut down in an orderly manner - and then it refused to run again. A new mobo and CPU, reinstall Win 7 (and everything else) and Win 7 just authenticated, and I have an OEM version !  All you can do is try it and see what happens. But if you do have to phone MS, then it was a repair wasn't it ?

Chris Cosgrove

#4 itekweni

itekweni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for quick response and the upgrade I was looking at was a new motherboard but that might be a problem because i cannot remember whether my version is retail or OEM ... cheers

#5 itekweni

itekweni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

Hi guys me again I just checked my version of windows and its retail so I guess that my motherboard could be changed without having to get another licence to activate windows ...thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users