Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsettling graphical artifacts during a game, logs attached.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lemur80

Lemur80

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:36 PM

Hi,

I had 2 more or less serious problems with my PC, and you - good people, helped me out very effectively. I probably should stick to polish forums, but they're practically dead, so i thought i could ask for a help one more time...

I'll start with my PC specification:

- CPU: Intel Core i5 Intel i5-6500 3.20GHz 6MB BOX

- CPU cooling: SilentiumPC Spartan 3 LT HE1012

- GPU:  PCI-E Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB GDDR5

- RAM: DDR4 Corsair 8GB 3000MHz Vengeance LPX Black CL15 (2x4GB)

- Motherboard: Socket 1151 MSI Z170-A PRO (2xPCI-E DDR4) 

- Power Supply: SilentiumPC 600W Vero M1 

- HDD: WD 1TB 7200obr. 64MB BLUE

- Optical Device:  DVD ASUS DRW-24F1MT(D5

- Computer case: Zalman Z3 PLUS USB3.0

Description of the problem:

Yes, i know i should make description once again, but i just pasted text from one of polish forums using Google Translator. I think it's acceptable:-):

"Probably yesterday I noticed artifacts while playing the game mentioned in the title (Deus Ex: Mankind DIvided). They appeared in open spaces, where the FPS's falls are usually the most severe. The artifacts were typical, large, black polygons that were most often seen against the sky and obscured much of the view.

Today the situation repeated itself again. After errors, I left the game and installed a couple of diagnostic programs. After a few tests (I noticed a CPU overheating), I started the game again. Shortly after saving save, artifacts reappeared as on the attached screenshoot. Artifacts appeared in the range 19:40 - 19:41 (08:40 - 08:41 PM), after which I immediately turned off the computer.

Temperatures are rather normal, FURMARK probably also did not detect anything special (graphic test looked ok). I am enclosing a few logs.

What should I do next?

I believe that the graphics card is suitable for servicing. Each time artifacts appeared before, they were the forerunners of the end of the graphic card. It always happened, without exception. I had about 2-3 graphics cards, which always after the appearance of very similar artifacts were suitable for being discarded after the next few weeks."

[EDIT] #1:

Oh, one more thing about the in-game screenshot i've attached. It looks like night time, but it's a day. Blue sky and white clouds should be visible, but they aren't visible at all. In the right section of this screenshot should be visible a large, modern office building made of steel and glass. 

[EDIT] #2:

I cleaned the insides of the computer few weeks ago. I didn't unscrew fans, cooling system, radiators etc. They are most likely still filled with dust and dirt inside. I smoke a way too much...

Attached Files

Edited by Lemur80, 17 June 2018 - 04:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:30 PM

"I didn't unscrew fans, cooling system, radiators etc . . . I smoke a way too much"

You and me both - the smoking part. I think you really do need to thoroughly clean out your cooling system even if this means dismantling it. Remember, if you disconnect any surfaces which are joined with heatsink compound / thermal paste the two surfaces need to be thoroughly cleaned and new compound applied before you refit them.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Lemur80

Lemur80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:29 AM

Yes, it's completely understandable, but there is one problem. If i dismantle my lungs - i'll die, if i dismantle my PC - it will die too:-) I have something that i have called: "technological curse"  :devil: . I just feel it in my guts, if i'll touch it - things will go south without any doubt. I just have to give my PC to computer service for components cleaning, i don't think there is any other soulution. If the problem will be coming back, i will know that graphic card is damaged. 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

That I can understand. However, with the manual in one hand and a screwdriver in the other and some care and patience, it is possible to take these miracles of technology  apart without wrecking them. It's the people who have the attitude 'I need a bigger hammer !' who wreck their systems !

From your reference to 'radiators' I get the impression that you have a liquid cooling system. I am one of those lesser mortals who (1) don't play heavy duty games, and, (2) rely on air cooling. I suggest that you start another topic here, in Internal Hardware, specifically on 'How do I clean out my cooling system' and give details of your case and the cooling system. Somebody is bound to know something about it.

Until I saw your note about the game screen shot  supposed to be of a daytime scene I thought that was a really cool bit of landscaping !  It really is a dramatic image, shades of Vienna from 'The Third Man' !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Lemur80

Lemur80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:05 AM

I'm sorry for late reply.

"That I can understand. However, with the manual in one hand and a screwdriver in the other and some care and patience, it is possible to take these miracles of technology  apart without wrecking them. It's the people who have the attitude 'I need a bigger hammer !' who wreck their systems !"

I couldn't agree more. I'm using different types of personal computers for about 30 years now, so it's a shame i didn't learn how to "dig" in that stuff. Everything besides interchange of basic components is beyond me. It's tempting to try it, but i tried similar things so many times and i know the risk of faiilure is high (even with very strict explanation for dummies). Thermal paste would cost me about 4 £, but new computer is a expense of 815 £...

The little things...

:-)

"From your reference to 'radiators' I get the impression that you have a liquid cooling system. I am one of those lesser mortals who (1) don't play heavy duty games, and, (2) rely on air cooling. I suggest that you start another topic here, in Internal Hardware, specifically on 'How do I clean out my cooling system' and give details of your case and the cooling system. Somebody is bound to know something about it."

I should check "radiator" word meaning before writing silly, my mistake. Everything in my "box" is air cooled, liquid cooling is too complicated for me and above all - too expensive. Yup, it should be much easier in my situation. I don't want to a pessimist, but opening my computer case is like yelling very louad: "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur!":

Orson Welles is always a good choice, but i'm feeling more like in "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari";-) Few days more and this silly stuff will make me sleepless:-)

Edited by Lemur80, 21 June 2018 - 03:09 AM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

Honest - it really isn't difficult !

Start by shutting your computer down then pull out the wallplug and hold the 'Power on' button down for about 30 seconds. This discharges any voltages that may be still on the system.

Remove the left hand side panel, the one on the left, looking at the front of the computer where the optical drives are. This is what your mobo should look like, from the MSI web-site -

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170-A-PRO/Gallery#lg=1&slide=3

And this video shows how to remove the heatsink and fan assembly

You will see in the video that, when he removes the heatsink, a gray coloured square underneath it. This is the CPU, there is no need to remove this. Unlike the video creator you will clean the top of the CPU and the corresponding bottom surface of the heatsink carefully and thoroughly. You can then separate the fan and heatsink and clean the fan and the fins on the heatsink thoroughly, then fit them back together.

The next step is to apply heatsink compound or paste to the top surface of the CPU only. My own preferred technique is to put a blob in the middle then spread it evenly across the surface, normally using a finger !  It's safe, just don't get the paste on your clothes !  Others prefer to put a small blob in the middle and let the pressure of re-placing the heatsink do the spreading. Then re-mount the heatsink and re-connect the fan power lead, replace the side panel, re-connect the power and boot. You should have lower temperatures.

If the above video shows a heatsink that looks nothing like yours then search on youTube for 'Socket 1151 MSI Z170-A PRO heatsink removal' and you will see one or two alternate heatsinks fitted, and how to remove them.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

this is an issue that is with all gtx 10xx series cards.   dx12 has a problem with drivers and has not been fix for a long time.   dx11 does not have the issue.

do some searching on google and you'll find what i found about it.

i would downgrade from directx12 to dx11.4

Edited by mightywiz, 22 June 2018 - 12:57 PM.

#8 Lemur80

Lemur80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:31 PM

@Chris Cosgrove

I've edited this post few times, because i made excuses for not doing this fairly simple maintance. I'm just afraid of it, that's all. I am grateful for patient help, but it won't work in my case, sorry.

@mightywiz

The simplest things are the most effective. It worked, thank you! It doesn't mean my PC doesn't need cleaning, but the similar scene [post #1] looks absolutely correct now (attachement).

The same problem is reported here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/337000/discussions/0/217691032428789878/

Attached Files

Edited by Lemur80, 22 June 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:58 AM

I'm glad your graphics problem is fixed but your cooling problem is not going to go away - sooner or later you are going to have to pick up the courage to clean out the cooling fan and heatsink assembly !

The graphics in the game you took the screenshots from seem excellent, but I still think your first screenshot was more dramatic !

Chris Cosgrove

#10 Lemur80

Lemur80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

I'm glad your graphics problem is fixed but your cooling problem is not going to go away - sooner or later you are going to have to pick up the courage to clean out the cooling fan and heatsink assembly !

The graphics in the game you took the screenshots from seem excellent, but I still think your first screenshot was more dramatic !

Chris Cosgrove

I will buy this courage in computer repair service on monday;-)

Maybe it was, but this "dramatic abnormality" wrecked my nerves:-) If have a choice, i would create my own, because i have full control over it. Just like in the picture below (even if the "drama" is arguable).

Attached Files

#11 Lemur80

Lemur80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

My journey through the world of silicon and dusted fans has ended.

I picked up my PC from computer repair service today. Here's the thing: i cleaned my "tin shed" before 17 june. Repairer told me that I did my cleaning very effectively, i got rid of most of the dirt inside, but at the same time i did it so cleverly, that i destroyed CPU cooling (that's why CPU was overheating). So, i had to pay for new  CPU cooling. How dumb is it? :smash:  :wacko:

I also confirm the end of graphic problems with all games.

Thank you all for your help, i appreciate it. We can safely close this topic now:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users