Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes blocking FileHippo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

HP Envy desktop computer, belonging to a decidedly non-technical friend.  Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Webroot SecureAnywhere AV.  Installed software includes Malwarebytes 3 free version, and CCleaner free version.  A few days ago CCleaner came out with an update.  My friend found managing the update too complicated, so I tried to do it for him yesterday.  Start CCleaner, it comes up with the usual notice that an update is available, do you want to install it?  Answer yes, and you get "Do you want to upgrade?" to Professional or Professional Plus.  Respond "No thanks".  That sends you to a page comparing the three versions.  If you choose from that page to download the free version, it sends you to the FileHippo download site - and Malwarebytes intervenes, blocking the "dangerous" site and strongly advising you not to go there - and making it complicated to do so, you have to create an exception in Malwarebytes, that takes additional steps.  Far too much complexity for my friend, and more hassle than even I wanted to deal with.

I solved the problem by backing all the way out, going directly to the CCleaner site and downloading/installing from there.  Malwarebytes did not block that.  It seems therefore that Malwarebytes was blocking the FileHippo site as dangerous.  Is that a response to the FileHippo habit of "bundling" other software with some of its downloads, or is there something more going on there?  I had not previously encountered Malwarebytes blocking the FileHippo site or downloads from FileHippo.  I've used FileHippo on a few long-past occasions, without problems, but then, I'm aware of bundling and know to uncheck "options" of that sort.  So is something new going on at FileHippo?

FWIW I always try to download software from its maker's site rather than from third-party download sites.  I was rather surprised that the CCleaner update site defaulted to FileHippo.  New marketing strategy?

I do not observe this "layered" presentation of options on Piriform programs because I already have the Professional Plus version installed.  When I get an update notice and click "yes" the update proceeds without any intervening sales pitch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

You may want to ask this in the Malwarebytes forum or CCleaner's forum.

I ran two scans and you can see only one detected it as a phishing site which I highly doubt.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/url/d737eac048a61d8d2e341d593305be720bd4b59c1f5ed0579bb956b7ab5bb7d2/detection

https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/filehippo.com#

I also get directed to FileHippo when going through the same steps you did. 

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

Thanks, I'll probably ask in both those places..

I too doubt it is a phishing site.  FileHippo is one of the most often used downloading sites, I should think.  They even have some of their own software there.

I ran through the "prescribed" steps at least five times - got rejected every time - before I gave up on FileHippo and went to the CCleaner site.  That worked first shot.

I've been using CCleaner for years on all kinds of machines, and never had this happen before.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:03 PM

Since FileHippo started offering downloads via Installers, I don't recommend them anymore.This is a quote FileHippo previously posted to explain "What is the FileHippo Download Manager?"

The FileHippo Download Manager delivers software straight from our supercharged servers to your computer. The Download Manager allows us to use multiple network connections at the same time to guarantee you the fastest, safest delivery possible.

During this process, the Download Manager may offer you other free applications provided by our carefully chosen partners. These offers are completely optional and you are not required to install any additional applications to receive the software you selected...

Bundled software often related to PUPs most likely explains why Malwarebytes is blocking it.

Malwarebytes has an aggressive PUP Policy and has been in the forefront to educate product users and blog readers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

Thanks, quietman7, that all makes perfect sense.  I was just a bit dismayed, from the Piriform side, that they defaulted to FileHippo rather than to their own download site.  Not really a problem for me, but my friend would never have found his way through if I hadn't been there.  It's simple enough to say "always go to the manufacturer's site to download xxx" but for the non-technical novice it's not always easy to figure out how to do that.  Easier now (I guess) because the main site is called "ccleaner.com" but before that you would have to know to look for "piriform.com".  As a musician and pianist I find "piriform" unforgettable - it may (or may not) refer to a slightly arcane musical joke, a set of pieces by Erik Satie "in the shape of a pear", but real or not, no pianist could ever forget that association.  "Pear shaped" software is just as (un)reasonable as "pear shaped" music - and just as unforgettable <G>.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:16 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif