Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only Installed Ram display in system properties

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Findout12

Findout12

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:46 PM

I would like my laptop to display usable ram instead of only actual ram installed in system properties.

for example it says
installed memory (Ram) : 8.00 GB 

but i would like it to show something like
installed memory (Ram) : 8.00 GB (7.85 GB usable) 

I have a dell insprion 7347 laptop, intel core i5-4210U, 8GB RAM, 500 GB SSD
with windows 10 home 64bit (legacy not UEFI). I reinstalled windows 10 on it. 
I'm not sure if its the Legacy mode is the cause. Any suggestions?

I would like my laptop to display something like the image below

gXfqa9f.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

Just type task manager and then performance tab and click on memory.

#3 Findout12

Findout12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

Just type task manager and then performance tab and click on memory.

Thanks for the reply but that's not what I'm look for. I know about that, but i want to get something like " installed memory (Ram) : 8.00 GB (7.85 GB usable) " instead of " installed memory (Ram) : 8.00 GB " in system properties. 

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:52 PM

The usable amount is only displayed if it's significantly different to the total fitted. If the hardware reserved RAM is only a small proportion of total RAM, it seems Microsoft has decided there's no point displaying such a small difference. This behavior is no doubt hard coded into the System Properties display routine, so it's very unlikely that it could be changed.

The poster below empirically demonstrated this on a system that did not display "usable", by reducing total RAM available until reserved RAM became a sufficient proportion of total, and then usable was shown:

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/360291-system-properties-not-showing-usable-ram-2.html#post3000066

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Findout12

Findout12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:48 PM

The usable amount is only displayed if it's significantly different to the total fitted. If the hardware reserved RAM is only a small proportion of total RAM, it seems Microsoft has decided there's no point displaying such a small difference. This behavior is no doubt hard coded into the System Properties display routine, so it's very unlikely that it could be changed.

The poster below empirically demonstrated this on a system that did not display "usable", by reducing total RAM available until reserved RAM became a sufficient proportion of total, and then usable was shown:

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/360291-system-properties-not-showing-usable-ram-2.html#post3000066

Thanks a lot!!! This really helped. 

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:31 AM

You're welcome!

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users