Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble installing puppy to my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 lily36473

lily36473

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

Hello.So im having trouble getting puppy linux installed to my computers hard drive.My computer doesnt have any os installed on the hard drive the computer came with windows 10 but i deleted it like 10 days after i brought the computer.Im not new to linux ive been using ubuntu linux for over 2 years im just making the switch to puppy linux.How do i gpart this correctly? Screenshot:

Tech information:Computer name lenovo ideapad 110s bought it from bestbuy(brand new).Bootable usb:Puppy linux xenialpup 7.5 64bit 16gb bought it from osdisc.com Screenshot:https://imgur.com/a/Tkksoj6  

Edited by lily36473, 17 June 2018 - 09:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lily36473

lily36473
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

https://imgur.com/a/7tiFHUg The first post that i made automatically removed my 2 imgur image links and 1 youtube video link ._.

Edited by Al1000, 18 June 2018 - 12:32 PM.
unedited

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:06 AM

Hello, Lily.

Now then; let's see what's what, shall we? You say you've deleted Windoze 10.....so you have an empty hard drive, yes?

Do you want Puppy to be the only Linux OS on this machine, or are you likely to want to run more than one? It'll be easier to keep it as one OS rather than multiple ones, though it should be 'do-able'.....although with Chromebook-like specs, Puppy's going to be a pretty good fit for that hardware.

Let us know what it is that you'd like to do, please; it'll make it easier for us to tailor advice as to what the next step should be, y'see.....

Mike. :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 lily36473

lily36473
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

The main reason i deleted it is because i dont want to have winsow$ on my computer because i dont support micro$oft.Im not going to get into the reasons why i dont like micro$oft now.Yes i have an empty hard drive no os installed on it.Yes i want puppy linux os to be the only os on the computer as i want to start using this computer as my main.This is the only computer os ill be using.Yeah ive researched a lot about puppy linux a long time ago(7 months ago) and came to the conclusion that this is the best linux os for this computer due to the low spec requirements and because i really like that puppy linux doesnt have sysmd and how the os looks.etc i didnt go into to much detail

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:58 AM

There are several helpful Google search results for installing a linux distro on your Lenovo ideapad 110s.

The one I've linked to is for Linux Mint. Didn't see one for Puppy. But the setup should be near enough for

following to install Puppy. I would suggest you install something other than Puppy for ease of keeping the

OS and programs current. Mint would be a good choice or one of the less demanding Ubuntus.

(Solved) Stubborn Install - Lenovo 110S - Linux Mint Forums

EDIT: I meant to add that Mike_Walsh is the one to listen to for best advice on Puppy. He always gives

excellent advice on that distro.

Edited by buddy215, 17 June 2018 - 11:01 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 lily36473

lily36473
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

Can you provide me with those google search results?Are you bloody serious the installation for linux mint and puppy linux are completely different including the gpart part i believe if im wrong please provide proof.I dont like ubuntu stop trying to get me to switch to another linux distro as im sticking with puppy linux os i know what im doing in terms of my choice of linux distro.ive also used linux mint before and i dont like it.this is not a linux distro suggestion thread its a thread on how to install puppy linux onto my hard drive.Heres the main problem i have with linux mint,it has sysmd and i dont like the way it lookst(user interface) isnt appealing to the eyes,uses to much memory ... .will be slow on this low spec computer which has an intel celeron chip and 2gb ram " install something other than Puppy for ease of keeping the OS and programs current" what does this even mean im not a big fan of distros that make you update the os to a brand new release version every single year.The only programs ill install on puppy linux are these kazam,brave and firefox and opera browsers,on screen keyboard,pinta image editor,shotwell,Shotcut,Kdenlive

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:25 AM

Hallo, Lily.

The main reason i deleted it is because i dont want to have winsow$ on my computer because i dont support micro$oft.Im not going to get into the reasons why i dont like micro$oft now.Yes i have an empty hard drive no os installed on it.Yes i want puppy linux os to be the only os on the computer as i want to start using this computer as my main.

No, no explanation required. We all have our own reasons for wanting to 'jump ship'!

Okay; right, then. From your reply to Buddy's post, it sounds like you already know exactly what you want to do. Which is good; because running Puppy is very much a personal decision.....it's definitely more 'hands-on' than most other distros!

Now; did you say you have a LiveCD, ready to go?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 17 June 2018 - 11:31 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 lily36473

lily36473
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

yes its the xenialpup puppy linux usb i bought from osdisc.com .https://imgur.com/a/Tkksoj6

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

I gave you a link to how to install on your computer. If you haven't read that....I think you should.

I did a search for how to install linux on a lenovo ideapad 110s - Google Search

Then posted one link from that search in my first post that I thought was appropriate with good info.

(Solved) Stubborn Install - Lenovo 110S - Linux Mint Forums

Like I said...If you intend only to install Puppy then Mike is the go-to guy for that.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 lily36473

lily36473
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Ok i go with mike

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

@ Lily:-

While I've run Puppy almost exclusively for the past 4 years, I wouldn't necessarily describe myself as an 'expert'! I tend to be the Puppy 'go-to- guy on here because nobody else takes Puppy seriously enough to run it full-time. And it can be a bit of a mission, sometimes.....

(BTW; you didn't need to jump down Buddy's neck like that. He was only trying to help.....no more, no less (as we all do on here). But it's a good thing that you do know what you want to do; those who do tend to be more focused on getting the task at hand 'solved'. Some of the posters on here have no idea what they want to do, and as a result some of the threads get dragged out for weeks on end, with no clear solution at the end.)

The post Buddy linked to appears to have some useful information, which we may need later on anyway.

-------------------------------------------

Now then; the biggest problem is probably going to be getting the LiveUSB to boot in the first place. Your Lenovo, like all recent hardware, no doubt has UEFI, rather than the traditional MBR BIOS. It has Intel hardware, which is an advantage, since Intel stuff has always been 'Linux-friendly'. And the newer Puppies have switchable MBR/UEFI modules included, along with auto detection of which module is required to work with the hardware it finds.

To access the UEFI BIOS, I've found a video on YouTube, which although for installing Win10 from a USB 'key' (which we're not interested in, obviously), does show how to access the BIOS (at approx 1.00 minute in); power on, immediately hold-down the Function key and press the F2 repeatedly (like twice a second), until the BIOS appears.

Having got the BIOS showing, use the right arrow key to move along to the 'Boot' tab, select, then do the following:-

Make sure that the following conditions are true:-

1. Boot Mode is set to 'Legacy Support'.

2. Boot Priority is set to 'Legacy First'.

3. Fast Boot is  set to 'Disabled'.

4. USB Boot is set to 'Enabled'.

Having done this, save the settings, exit, then power-off. (You may need to perform a 'hard' power-down, by holding the power button till it shuts off, since there's no OS at this point to control it.)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Plug your Puppy USB into one of the USB 2.0 ports on the right-hand side. Now, power-on.

What, exactly, happens?

(This is a bit of an experiment for me, too, since I've never had to install to a recent, UEFI-equipped machine. My hardware is all between 12-15 years old. However, there's been plenty of discussion about this on the Puppy Forums, so I'm well-armed with the necessary information!)

We'll get you there sooner or later. Oh, one other thing, if you wouldn't mind.....the exact model number will be helpful, please.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 17 June 2018 - 02:36 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

https://imgur.com/a/7tiFHUg The first post that i made automatically removed my 2 imgur image links and 1 youtube video link ._.

Hi, I suggest leaving a space before the URLs. So for example instead of:

"...Screenshot:https...."

try:

"...Screenshot: https...."

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

Or simply copy and paste the image....that's what I do with images I have uploaded to Imgur.

#14 lily36473

lily36473
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:51 PM

Mike_Walsh

Sorry im back.I just took a long break from computer stuff i went camping and traveled to places.Ok i configured my bios settings just like you told me to screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/RXdo6bb .This is the exact model and where i bought it from:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-110s-11-6-laptop-intel-celeron-2gb-memory-32gb-emmc-flash-memory-white/5580020.p?skuId=5580020 the computer is available in amazon too

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

Mike_Walsh

Sorry im back.I just took a long break from computer stuff i went camping and traveled to places.Ok i configured my bios settings just like you told me to screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/RXdo6bb .This is the exact model and where i bought it from:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-110s-11-6-laptop-intel-celeron-2gb-memory-32gb-emmc-flash-memory-white/5580020.p?skuId=5580020 the computer is available in amazon too

Well, I can't say as I blame you. Go for it! They do say travel broadens the mind, after all.....

With regard to the BIOS, that all looks as it should. Let us know what happens when you try booting from it, please? There's no rush with this; as & when, as & when...

(Whoa, whoa, whoa.....hang about. I don't see any mention of 'FastBoot' in your screenshot. That will need disabling. Can you find it elsewhere.....perhaps under the 'Security' tab?)

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 28 June 2018 - 08:18 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users