Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to add images back into a PowerPoint with missing image files?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Windows10User

Windows10User

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:02 AM

Hi,

My computing teacher gave me a PowerPoint file where all the images were missing and there were only place holders in the file:

1_zpstcomdv97.png

When I had a look at the file, it turns out the file was smaller then the last version he has given me previously:

2_zpsmzfv4lbx.png

I've changed the file extension of the pptx files to zip to have a look at their content and in the media folder, the new version was missing most of the images:

3_zpsmfhrscga.png

I was wondering if there's a way to add the images from the old file to the new file's placeholders in batch as the PowerPoint file has around 500 slides.

My OS: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

Version of Office: 2016 Pro Plus

Edited by Windows10User, 17 June 2018 - 06:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:59 PM

If these two files are meant to be the same then just use the old one. If they are meant to be different then go back to your teacher and tell him/her the file is corrupted and ask for a working copy.

Yes you could copy the images over but if the two files are meant to be different how do you know what you are meant to have in this new file ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Windows10User

Windows10User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

If these two files are meant to be the same then just use the old one. If they are meant to be different then go back to your teacher and tell him/her the file is corrupted and ask for a working copy.

Yes you could copy the images over but if the two files are meant to be different how do you know what you are meant to have in this new file ?

Chris Cosgrove

Hi Chris,

The PowerPoint files iterate from each other so there shouldn't be much of a fundamental difference between them. I have tried copying the contains of the media folder from the old file to the new one but PowerPoint didn't like it.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:35 PM

Since the two files are, as you now say, different then copying over the images from the old file will not replicate the new one so there is not a lot of point in even thinking about it, never mind actually doing it. So my advice remains the same - go back and ask for a copy that works.

An aside point. There is no need to copy my replies in your next post, as you will see my text is still there above your #3. By all means quote one particular point from a longer post to make it clear what you are referring to, but it is almost never necessary to quote a complete post.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users