Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access to my files remotely via VPN - ASUS RT-AC56U?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raven6679

raven6679

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:49 AM

I have broadband connection with static IP. My objective is to access my *files* from anywhere in the world in a secure manner - through VPN. FILES, not actual computer through VNC/RDP/NX (this would be nice, but it's not essential).

I have NAS drive (Zyxel NSA325 v2), which I would like to use as a main file server. I'm NOT willing to subscribe to commercial VPN servers. Beside NAS, I have modem/router from my ISP (which is set as bridge, so it should be transparent) and one other router (TP Link Archer AC750).

I want to replace TP Link with new router which is capable to setup a VPN tunnel. I am thinking about ASUS RT-AC56U, which AFAIK can setup VPN server (OpenVPN) and also is able to be flashed with custom firmware.

So, is it a good choice and would I be able to setup VPN to my home network and access files from my NAS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

No, it's not a good choice.

Running open VPN is ok, but from public 'free' servers that every man and his dog has access too, will see your NAS server perform like a wet rag.

Sure, you may gain access, but your desired server projects require more than simply just access........they need performance, otherwise its all worthless!

There are no free lunches to be gained online today.

I do like your idea to run a dedicated VPN server for the setup, utilizing something like DD-WRT . Double check your TP-Link here or here before you change, as they are often well supported and its fun to experiment.

Tomato is a great option for Broadcom routers!

I recently bricked my TP-Link TL-WR902AC by pushing the boundries, so be cautious!

Well, I can get her back again, but its a right PITA  :thumbup2:

Edited by Replicator, 17 June 2018 - 08:30 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#3 raven6679

raven6679
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think RT-AC56U has OpenVPN server. So why is it not a good choice?

PS. my TP Link has no custom firmware.

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:14 PM

The problem with accessing files through your homeserver is that file transfer speeds will depend on your internet speed at home.

EG: an ADSL line with 0,8mbit/s upload speed would mean it takes a long time to get the file over to you.
If you have 100mbit symmetric fiber connection you would not be limited by the same thing.

So, it depends on how large the files are, your internet speed at home and your patience for wait times.

Another possibility would be to host a Seafile or OwnCloud server at home.
With these you could get a local copy of the files so that performance would not suffer.

I would not suggest Seafile/OwnCloud for video streaming. It is better suited for eg word documents and other work related things

Hth!

tfn

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:00 AM

If your looking for VPN functionality you should look into a device that supports IPSEC. A Ubiquiti Edgerouter X supports L2TP IPSEC vpn and it is compatible with the Windows native VPN client. You can get an Edgerouter X for around $55.00. If you need wireless you can use your TP link as an access point.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users