Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

K-9 Web Protection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:11 PM

Earlier this year, I was looking into parental control software and saw the old standby, K-9 listed again and again.  Given it's free status, I tried it along with some others.  I noticed something odd, though, while looking at the site.  Some areas seemed to be missing.  The newest news is from 2016 when Symantec took it over and, before that, from 2013 when the last update happened.

I downloaded the product and commenced testing it.  It failed everything - no blocking occurred no matter how I set it up.  After a bit of investigation, I discovered that there doesn't seem to be any cloud database left.  My guess is that Symantec gutted it at some point after buying it and never took it down.  Why? Because otherwise protection would still occur.   Why they would leave so many parents and their kids so vulnerable is beyond me. :(

Independent verification is needed so that I can, at the very least, add a note on Wikipedia which doesn't allow original research.  Referring to a public announcement on a reputable site like this should be sufficient.   If BC wants to put up an article about it - if it indeed is still dead, please let me know so I can reference it.

If Symantec wants to take the lead on officially announcing K-9s death, or resurrecting it (even better), that would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Is there anyone who's tried to verify if K9 is still without a database?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users