Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

K-9 Web Protection

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:11 PM

Earlier this year, I was looking into parental control software and saw the old standby, K-9 listed again and again.  Given it's free status, I tried it along with some others.  I noticed something odd, though, while looking at the site.  Some areas seemed to be missing.  The newest news is from 2016 when Symantec took it over and, before that, from 2013 when the last update happened.

I downloaded the product and commenced testing it.  It failed everything - no blocking occurred no matter how I set it up.  After a bit of investigation, I discovered that there doesn't seem to be any cloud database left.  My guess is that Symantec gutted it at some point after buying it and never took it down.  Why? Because otherwise protection would still occur.   Why they would leave so many parents and their kids so vulnerable is beyond me. :(

Independent verification is needed so that I can, at the very least, add a note on Wikipedia which doesn't allow original research.  Referring to a public announcement on a reputable site like this should be sufficient.   If BC wants to put up an article about it - if it indeed is still dead, please let me know so I can reference it.

If Symantec wants to take the lead on officially announcing K-9s death, or resurrecting it (even better), that would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Is there anyone who's tried to verify if K9 is still without a database?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#3 CharlieMonk

CharlieMonk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:48 PM

Given that Symantec has their own protection for children (Norton Safe Web), I'd say you're probably right about them gutting K9.

Qustodio has free protection for a single device that is generally better than K9. That might be a suitable alternative for you.

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

You could also try Open DNS its free for home use (one IP address). With it you can block things like adult sites, advertising sites, proxy sites & etc.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 23 July 2018 - 04:35 PM.

#5 CharlieMonk

CharlieMonk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

You could also try Open DNS its free for home use (one IP address). With you can block things like adult sites, advertising sites, proxy sites & etc.

OpenDNS works well, just make sure you have a way to block alternate dns servers. Otherwise it's very easy to bypass.

#6 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:40 PM

You could also try Open DNS its free for home use (one IP address). With it you can block things like adult sites, advertising sites, proxy sites & etc.

I use OpenDNS, but it is very limited in its applicability.  I wrote about this on another site if you want me to provide a link.  In essence, you have no control over which accounts are affected on a computer that uses it, and if you run it through your router, it affects ALL computers and accounts using that router.  This works under certain circumstances, but not for me.  I only run it in the kitchen to keep that computer being used for other purposes.

Given that Symantec has their own protection for children (Norton Safe Web), I'd say you're probably right about them gutting K9.

Qustodio has free protection for a single device that is generally better than K9. That might be a suitable alternative for you.

I've used Qustodio and I liked it...Until I had problems with both the software and support.  It seemed to mess up Windows, so that was another reason that I don't  use it.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#7 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:48 AM

Why worry about K-9, if its no longer supported..... there are better ways around to help spy on the kids.....oops sorry, I meant protect the kids! 

Keep track of all their smartphone activities remotely from any of your devices and block undesirable content on the run, using Spyzie

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#8 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:25 PM

Why worry about K-9, if its no longer supported..... there are better ways around to help spy on the kids.....oops sorry, I meant protect the kids! 

Keep track of all their smartphone activities remotely from any of your devices and block undesirable content on the run, using Spyzie

I thought that I made it fairly obvious but, at the risk of repeating myself:  If parents download K9 thinking that it's a functioning program that will protect their kids from themselves, then it's like installing a trojan horse on the computer.  Their kids will NOT be safe at all, but the parents will believe they are until they figure out the truth.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#9 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:02 AM

What then.....is this simply a 'lets blame' K9 thread. Lets blame another party because its not our fault right?

If you truely want to protect your kids then get off your ass and do some research instead of playing the blame game!

Edited by Replicator, 17 August 2018 - 04:03 AM.

#10 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

If there is anyone who can help by installing and independently verifying that K9 is not working correctly (i.e. the databases are missing, etc.), it would be greatly appreciated, especially if someone from BC can do this.  Blue Coat support never responded to my email and vmail queries, and Symantec denies responsibility despite owning Blue Coat.  Blue Coat, Symantec and K9 websites do not say anything more than: "K9 is no longer offered for sale, but the free version is still available."

Given the number of parents who still use K9, and its lack of protection for kids, I really believe it is important to make the public aware.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#11 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:25 PM

If there is anyone who can help by installing and independently verifying that K9 is not working correctly (i.e. the databases are missing, etc.), it would be greatly appreciated, especially if someone from BC can do this.  

Seems to work good, only issues your having are most likely through poor configuration!

#12 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:20 PM

If there is anyone who can help by installing and independently verifying that K9 is not working correctly (i.e. the databases are missing, etc.), it would be greatly appreciated, especially if someone from BC can do this.  

Seems to work good, only issues your having are most likely through poor configuration!

Am I to understand that you tested it and didn't have trouble?  What did you do to ensure it works correctly?  What configuration changes did you make?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#13 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:09 AM

Well I installed the software using the confirmed, emailed licence number and simply created an Admin account with password.....then rebooted to scribe those entries to registry.

The software will boot a web browser running it on LPORT 2372. (most likely your default set browser from kernel)

From there i simply configured the program from the 'setup' tab and set my required K9 filters.

Works great.....Im not sure what your concerned about?

Did you try the 'get help' tab to talk about your concerns regarding this program?

Could it be a 'permissions' issue with your current web browser that wont allow the software to run from its domains?

Remember that the configuration for the software to run on, as an example, MS Edge @ 2372, will be totally ignored if the kids launch a Chrome browser to surf with. 

You would need to disable all other browsers in use, as well as the ability to download and utilize other browsers unless they are also configured for the software which should easily be able to be done although i have not delved that far into it yet.

:)

Edited by Replicator, 22 August 2018 - 06:40 AM.

#14 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:37 PM

Interesting.  I will have to find time to try to use the software again and make sure that the configuration is correct.  Perhaps that was the problem...Thanks.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#15 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:49 AM

No worries RevGAM.........when i get the time, I would like to delve deeper in my testing and further investigate some of the issues you mentioned.

Im not entirely convinced but it seemed ok at an initial stage.

My 14yo daughter will make the perfect 'crash test dummy' :mellow: ......what she doesn't know wont hurt her right? :whistle:

If I come across anything worth mentioning, I will post it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users