Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parts from China

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 justindaniels

justindaniels

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

I have just ordered on eBay a replacement refurbished CPU and RAM for my old laptop. Both parts are coming from China, so I wondered if anything bad might have been done to them as a spy attempt? Is this something to worry about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

depends what they mean by the work "refurbished",

personally i wouldn't trust anything used from china....however you are pretty safe with ebay, f it doesn't work you can get your money back

#3 justindaniels

justindaniels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:23 PM

What I am more concerned about is this: can they hide something in the CPU or memory that can capture my data and send it to them when I connect to the Internet?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

Of course they could, in theory.   You have to ask yourself, why would they?   Are you somehow a high-value target?  Do they even know who you are?

People who are skilled professional thieves, whether it be for data or anything else, carefully choose their targets to their own maximum advantage.  Only rank amateurs ever attempt to pick at random and hope they're going to hit a goldmine.

Also, where do you think the vast majority of new semiconductors of all types come from? . . .

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 justindaniels

justindaniels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:45 PM

I guess I just was being a little over-cautious, because in the past I got some software developed in China, that seemed suspicious and used a lot of network activity. So, hopefully, it's safe.

#6 justindaniels

justindaniels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

Just an update. The CPU and RAM have been installed, and everything seems to work fine. (After installing the CPU, I found 2 viruses shortly after, but this could be totally not related to this.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users