Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems installing Windows 10 build 1803 on VirtualBox (Dell PE2950)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 digitalaero

digitalaero

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

I have been having trouble installing the latest version of Windows 10 (1803 64bit Pro) on my VirtualBox running on Ubuntu 18.04 64bit on a Dell PE2950 (Dual Xeon X5355, 16GB RAM). 

Here are the original settings that did not work:

4 GB RAM

4 CPUs

Paravirtualization Interface: Default

VT-x: Enabled

Enable Nested Paging: Enabled

Video Memory: 128 MB

2D & 3D acceleration both disabled

I attached the .iso for Windows 10 install and tried to boot.  I got the Windows Logo for a few seconds with the spinning circle, then a black screen and 100% CPU usage.  It was obviously hung with no activity at all.

Here are the settings that worked:

2 GB RAM

1 CPUs

Paravirtualization Interface: Hyper-V

VT-x: Enabled

Enable Nested Paging: Disabled (probably doesn't matter, the host CPUs don't support it)

Video Memory: 256 MB

2D & 3D acceleration both disabled

I tried various combinations of the above settings, and none of them worked.  The thing I finally changed was limiting the VM to 1 CPU.  It *almost* worked on 2 CPUs, but hung right after selecting the drive to install on.

I hope this helps somebody, it has been a real pain trying to get this to work!

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2018 - 01:13 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Virtual Machines - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,019 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum. One thing that jumps out at me real quick is that you are trying to use 4 CPUs, that could never work. You have to leave more physical cores for the actual OS than zero or otherwise everything will crash. One CPU is usually enough for any virtual machine.

I have 16 GB of DDR3 memory and I usually only assign 3 or 4 GB to my virtual box, unless I am multi tasking, then I just use 2 for my virtual box.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 digitalaero

digitalaero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

It actually has 8 CPU cores, 4 each with dual processors.  It runs perfectly fine with the initial release of Windows 10 (1507) with 4 CPUs assigned and 4GB RAM, even with 2 virtual machines with this configuration running at the same time.

After upgrading to build 1803, it is only stable with 1 CPU.  It usually runs with 2 CPUs, but it will freeze after a while.  It won't even get past the windows logo with 4 CPUs.

All other OS run perfectly fine with 4 CPUs assigned.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:50 AM

You also changed the paravirtualization interface from Hyper-V to default. Any reason why?

#5 njorl

njorl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

I hope this helps somebody, it has been a real pain trying to get this to work!

Thank you.  It greatly helped me.  I'd laboured for hours trying make an upgrade to 1803 succeed.  Truly glad you took the time to share your knowledge.

I can say my VM now works, but it seems much less responsive than before I upgraded.  No scientific measurements to support that, but it's reminding me of having XP on hardware with 256 MiB, whereas it was fairly snappy before the upgrade (when I'd been giving it two cores).

Edited by njorl, 01 July 2018 - 09:21 AM.

#6 digitalaero

digitalaero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:46 AM

You also changed the paravirtualization interface from Hyper-V to default. Any reason why?

I didn't change it, it was already on default.  It automatically recognizes Hyper-V and uses that.  I did try it with Hyper-V specified with no difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users