Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Options Not Showing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 tazmo8448

tazmo8448

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:36 AM

I have a laptop that I want to sell and the buyer (naturally) wants me to put a 'fresh' OS, in this case Win7, on it. It was previously installed with Win7 but am finding when I reformat the disk an run a new install that the BIOS Boot listings no longer show the internal hard drive; it just shows the CD/DVD Drive and the bootable USB.

I can install the OS and without the HDD showing I have to boot up using the USB every time. The thing is when I go to the new OS and look at Computer it does show the OS on C:\ and when I go to Disk Manager it also lists the hard drive (as Disk 0) with it's 100 mb partition. The problem is as stated the drive is not listed in Boot Options for some reason.

I've used the Command Prompt while in the OS and bootrec is not recognized as a command....using the Repair option on the bootable usb I have run thru all the bootrec options using Command in Repair mode to no avail....it seems as though using that feature that /fixmbr and all those work but can not apply them as there is no Boot Option for it.

Again the hard drive is listed everywhere EXCEPT in Boot Options. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:40 AM

I forgot to mention that I have reset the CMOS several times also to no avail. I've taken the battery out of the laptop disconnected everything an have held the power on button down for minutes hoping that may help reset things but no joy.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:05 AM

Is the correct hard drive reflected in the main BIOS page which reflects date/time/drives installed?

Louis

#4 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:15 AM

Let me check that...being an HP DV-7 the BIOS menu is rather limited as to what one can do (as you well know I'm sure) it DOES NOT list any drives below the time & date listings...don't believe it ever did to be honest...it just lists the type processor an other hardware items such as RAM WLAN etc. Serial Number and what not. Don't think I ever saw the HHD ever listed there.

I have an Asus desktop and it is like a whole different world when it comes to BIOS settings...but good ole HP seems to like keeping things under wraps for some reason.

Edited by tazmo8448, 16 June 2018 - 07:23 AM.

#5 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

another thing...going to HP support they are very limited on what they do or can do...and being out of warranty they really don't like to 'help' with anything.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:59 AM

If you provide the serial number of the HP somebody can look things up on the HP support page or in their support community and maybe get some ideas.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

okay the serial number is: CNF0468922 Model Dv7-4177nr

I had another OS (win7 ultimate) that I was using in lieu of the OEM OS which was Home Premium; so I decided to just go back and put the OEM discs in but am still getting the same issue whereas the Hard drive (Samsung 640 GB HDD) isn't showing in the Boot order or options

sorry these old eyes saw an 8 when in reality it is a B....so the SN is CNF046 B 922 NOT 8 922......going to the HP site realized that my notebook is a Dv7 and they where showing a Dv6....thus the mix up

Edited by tazmo8448, 16 June 2018 - 03:53 PM.

#8 Ghostwalker

Ghostwalker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

tazmo,
Just some quick thoughts before you have to head down the support jungle path. Check the md5 hash on the .iso file you burned to see if it is corrupt. NirSoft(.)net makes a no nonsense portable hasher: "HashMyFiles". Is the hard drive bad? Crystalmark(.)info makes a portable HDD/SSD checker: "CrystalDiskInfo" Standard Edition portable (zip) version will be just the plain executable without anything else. Put these self contained applications anywhere and run them. You just beat me to this post by seconds! -Hope this helps

#9 Ghostwalker

Ghostwalker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

(Since you tried the OEM discs, corruption is probably out of the picture unless you see a reasonable scratch on them) Try resetting the BIOS to Optimal Defaults.

Edited by Ghostwalker, 16 June 2018 - 11:44 AM.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

Looking back at the beginning you said "...when I reformat the disk ..."

Describe how you reformated the disk and what did you boot on to format the disk.

Just guessing that maybe the problem is the disk was reformatted in some way that the BIOS (and/or Windows) doesn't understand it.

For some reason the HP "Expert" contributors in their community suggest this freeware for formatting but I have never used it:

https://downloads.tomsguide.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Bootable-CD,0301-51034.html

Here is a link to the Service Manual for that system and the BIOS stuff starts about page 100:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657339

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00034791#AbT3

Scroll down to BIOS Menu Options, hard drive is listed as main page item.

I would have to question whether the drive has failed or is not properly connected...if it does not show on the main BIOS page.

Louis

#12 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

Yeah I've checked the two drives separately on another PC (my desktop) using CrystalDiskMark..along with file checkers an whatnot...all good..

...as far as the BIOS goes I've done several CMOS resets...along with laptop resets

.this particular BIOS which is peculiar to HP has very few settings to 'tweak' or even look at especially the 'notebook' as they like to call 'em versions...the desktop ones are hardly better in that respect...going thru all the BIOS settings one by one there is no optimal BIOS just default...which has been also done numerous times...the OEM disks installed the OS but had to use a bootable usb to get to the homepage or desktop...

an idea hit me ... had some trouble with an Asus MoBo (it was showing crazy fan speeds getting into the red) and found that by reflashing the BIOS was the answer...going back one version then putting the latest in fixed that....going to try that on the notebook.

I'll get back if it works...

#13 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:24 PM

as far as the method I used to pre-install as it may....I used the 'Format' selection during the installation process with the straight OS .iso and with the OEM HP Discs used their recovery program which has a 'built-in' cleaning system...also I've attached the two drives to another pc and ran diskpart>select disk #>clean ...method...I've checked these HHD's til I'm blue in the face really...going as far as to use the Wipe deal with CCleaner and several passes with Eraser....then doing which ever 'format' came up during the installation process....in answer to those questions.

Edited by tazmo8448, 16 June 2018 - 03:26 PM.

#14 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

and Louis I'm with you on that...have double checked all the connections...fittings....placement etc on the drives...an am in hopes the BIOS flash will solve it...at the moment doing the 'older' F.26 then will apply the latest F.29...what I've found so far (applying the older flash is this time when I go to repair mode an run Repair Startup that this time it found errors whereas previous trys only said it could not....so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

#15 tazmo8448

tazmo8448
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

after flashing the BIOS the Notebook Hard Drive does show in the boot 'order' but not in the boot 'options' which leads me to believe that the initial setup is flawed and for some reason it is not 'seeing' the MBR on the HDD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users