Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Insane FPS drops on gaming rig

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pereos

Pereos

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:14 AM

Disclaimer: not sure where to post this since i dont know the cause of the issue; software or hardware?

About one and a bit years ago i built my first PC ever. Though cable management was horrible and we bent a couple pins, the build was functional after ordering another Motherboard.

---

Specs:

i5 7400

GTX 1060 - 6GB VRAM

MSI 7270-A Pro

some Rhombutech 500W Power Supply

and 4 fans in a "2 in" "2 out" formation

2 x 8gb 2400 Ballistix ram

2TB HDD (idk the speed)

250GB SSD (same thing)

Win 10

---

I've had an issue with a stick of corrupted RAM, got that figured out but now I'm simply dumbfounded on what to do...

The problem:

I tend to use my PC for mainly gaming (primarily overwatch but some other titles now and then aswell) or game design (unity3d).

I open overwatch and my FPS (usually at a constant 100, because of my fps cap) is now at 20).

I hope the lag is just caused by opening the game and join a match. My fps sit around 1(yes ONE) - 20 and the game is just unplayable.

I try to find a fix on blizzards forums, but notice that the drops have taken a similar toll on the rest of my PC. Not in the way that my mouse is like a slide show, but that everything takes extremely long to load and is slow to react. I find a post about the latest nvidia drivers being absolute bleep, and to download version 388.71. I have to restart my PC to apply the changes, but cant login (stuck in welcome screen) 2 times and on the 3rd restart i can login. The drivers havent helped whatsoever and I'm not sure what to do.

Can any of you help me find a cheap, preferably simple fix?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jannes Kelso.

Edited by Pereos, 16 June 2018 - 10:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:46 AM

some Rhombutech 450W Power Supply

Is the PSU that you are using the same as the one in the attachment below;

Attached Files

#3 Pereos

Pereos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

my bad, I wrote this off the top of my head and it was this 500W power supply:

https://www.amazon.de/RHOMBUTECH%C2%AE-Watt-PC-Netzteil-Gaming-Netzteil-kugelgelagerter/dp/B00O0UFD5I/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1474561240&sr=1-8&keywords=Power%2BSupply&th=1

Thanks for the inquiry, but I dont see how this helps.

#4 Pereos

Pereos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:41 AM

though my games and generally the whole pc is still unusually stuttery, i have just noticed that the game didnt know what my refresh rate was, so it gave me bleepty FPS.

This helped boost my fps, but they still drop to the 20's.

Edit:

nvm, i guess i just got lucky. My fps are still trash constantly.

Edited by Pereos, 16 June 2018 - 10:54 AM.

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

my bad, I wrote this off the top of my head and it was this 500W power supply:

https://www.amazon.de/RHOMBUTECH%C2%AE-Watt-PC-Netzteil-Gaming-Netzteil-kugelgelagerter/dp/B00O0UFD5I/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1474561240&sr=1-8&keywords=Power%2BSupply&th=1

Thanks for the inquiry, but I dont see how this helps.

The PSU is the heart of the computer and you need a good quality brand that can produce the appropriate clean and stable power that your hardware needs, particularly when there is an add on video card present as they dictate what output and amps the PSU needs to be.

The PSU in the attachment that I included was among the search results I got when I typed in "some Rhombutech 450W Power Supply" which was what was originally in your OP, the said PSU even though branded as 450W can only actually put out 230W and 21 amps on the +12V rail which had it been the correct PSU would have been well short of the 400W and 27 amps that your 6GB GTX 1060 video card requires which in turn may have explained the issues that you are having,  the Rhombutech brand of PSU is of poor quality nevertheless and I would suggest that as soon as you are able to that you swap in a good quality, minimum of Bronze efficiency rated 500W PSU from a company such as EVGA or Seasonic.

Check in the BIOS what the +3.3V, +5V and +12V readings are and post them with your next reply for us, no rush on my behalf as I need to go out for a couple of hrs.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

#6 Pereos

Pereos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for the support so far and once again sorry for giving the wrong info. I thought it was right and didnt expect it to be so vital.
I dont know where you get your information from:

"though branded as 450W can only actually put out 230W and 21 amps on the +12V"

but maybe you could check the same data for the confirmed correct PSU (https://www.amazon.de/RHOMBUTECH®-Watt-PC-Netzteil-Gaming-Netzteil-kugelgelagerter/dp/B00O0UFD5I/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1474561240&sr=1-8&keywords=Power%2BSupply&th=1)

As for the BIOS data:
Voltage:
     CPU Core : 0.912V
     CPU IO : 1.120V
     CPU SA : 1.056V
     System 5V : 5.080V
     System 12V : 12.192V
     DRAM : 1.200V

I've never looked into this part of the BIOS, but this seems to look fine to me, unless the 3.3V rail missing is a bad thing, which I dont know much about.
I get how a PSU can affect an entire rig, and I was concerned for the first few days of use for exactly this reason, since I knew that I had sort of cheaped out on the PSU.
But since everything seems to have been working fine for over a year, I dont understand why this problem might be arising now?!

And here is my speccy profile:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/pSQYjat6iJuwVejx5Ebhvr8

For this the only things that really popped out at me are
1: The amount of running and stopped services, is this normal?
2: The extensive list of process list, including around 70 svchost.exe  programms, which I realize are windows processes, but none the less the sheer number seems extreme. Could the combined amount of these process be the blame for my issues? Though I have been using this Anti-Virus for several months and never had a problem, could the lag be caused by the high CPU usage of this program? If u search for "Trend" (the Anti-Virus being called Trend Micro Titanium Security) in the speccy account, you will find a lot of processes under that category. Speccy doesnt show CPU usage, but i can show a picture of Task manager:

https://imgur.com/a/MWTTmcM

Keep in mind im at 72% with seemingly only 5 tabs in google open, task manager, and explorer.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for getting back to you so late, I was at a friends for the night.

Jannes Kelso.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users