Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

World Cup 2018.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:20 AM

Hi

Its world cup time, support your country here.

Good luck socceroos.

f2yiaAE.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:22 AM

IMO...the beauty of competitions between countries/nations...does not lie in blind support of "home forces"...but in the opportunity to see extraordinary athleticism and commitment by all athletes who have trained extensively for the "honor" of representing respective countries in these international events.

I've always been a "fan/supporter" of the team which displays the greatest ability during these contests...be it the U.S., Spain, Germany, Brazil, Belgium...or whatever country happens to survive each contest...or displays the best effort and does not survive.

I believe that these contests are designed to make us more appreciative of the athletic efforts around the world... and not just a venue for blind "fan support" for those we call "our countrymen."

Any glory that accrues from such competitions...accrues to the athletes for their dedication and efforts...and carries no nationalistic implications, no matter how many times a "national anthem" is played at the start of a contest.

I urge all to see/enjoy the contests...from the perspective of rendering homage to all the athletes participating...not just the ones whom we can mentally claim as "ours."

Louis

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

As impossible as the task may appear.....Aussies to Win !!!

My favourite players ?....Tim Cahill, Tom Rogic, Cristian Ronaldo.......and for sheer brilliance and athleticism....Lionel Messi

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

Messi ?  Even after failing to convert a penalty against Iceland ?

My wife and I are going to be in France on the weekend of the final, watching the Tour from the roadside for a couple of days. After an afternoon hopefully on the cobbles between Arras and Roubaix then it will be hot foot for the local bar where we are going to be staying. Nothing wrong with watching a football match with a glass or two of beer to hand !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:41 PM

My wife and I are going to be in France

War is declared  France.

The second goal was just sheer blind luck.

Edited by NickAu, 17 June 2018 - 01:06 AM.

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:17 AM

USA & Netherlands didn't qualify, what about the possibility of Iceland shocking the world! Had Mohamed Salah been able to play with England, they might have been a strong contender.

So, now I'm interested to see if Brazil can pull of another win! They play Switzerland tomorrow 6/17...we'll see how they do.

Fifa_brazil.jpg

#7 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:04 PM

Usual nonsense from England. Playing fairly well, but only drawing at half time against a weak Tunisia team.

Well, we got the result, but are not yet a strong enough team to go far.

Edited by thelittleduck, 18 June 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

I am not the world's greatest sports fan, not by a long shot, but I have found the standard of the games I have seen so far relatively low. I would not say that I have yet watched a match that had me glued to the edge of my seat.

And as for the commentary on our TV channels !  The BBC seems to find most interest in that some, any, player played some football in the UK even if it was only for Nowhere Rover's second team and ITV seems unable to give fair credit to non-European teams. Believe it or not, the radio commentary is far better and much more even handed

Chris Cosgrove

#9 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:59 PM

One all with colombia. We have played extremely well, and deserved to have won by at least three imo.

Edit - England finally win a penalty shootout at the world cup.

We wont win the thing, but we haven't made total fools of ourselves for once.

I don't believe it!

Edited by thelittleduck, 03 July 2018 - 05:16 PM.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

I managed to miss this game, I had a much more enjoyable evening playing cards at a local Bridge Club !

I did enjoy the previous night's game between Belgium and Japan. Good exciting end to end stuff with a fair demonstration of skills.

"England finally win a penalty shootout" - that reminds of the fairly brief period during which I carried a machine gun for Her Majesty, fire enough rounds at a target you will hit it sooner or later.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:25 PM

X country wins via a penalty shootout......is not a win imo.

This is a sitting duck (goalkeeper) who is about to shoulder the entire burden of his teams loss.

This does not represent "sport" 

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:36 AM

This is a sitting duck (goalkeeper) who is about to shoulder the entire burden of his teams loss.

The keeper is usually seen as the lucky one in a shootout. They are not really expected to save penalties, so are seen as heroes if they do.

It's the two Colombians who missed I feel sorry for. A Colombian player was murdered once for missing a penalty.

X country wins via a penalty shootout......is not a win imo.

They have to have a way to decide a match. The match can't go on forever. There are time constraints with TV, and time limits with the length of the tournament itself.

This does not represent "sport"

It's a test of nerve, using elements of the sport itself. Namely, a shot at goal, and shot saving.

What would you suggest in its stead Condobloke?

Correction - the Colombian player was murdered for scoring an own goal, not missing a penalty.

Edited by thelittleduck, 04 July 2018 - 11:43 AM.

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:06 AM

Golden Point (goal)...

The golden point is used to determine a winner when scores are level at the end of time.

If the scores are level at the end of 90 minutes, 5 minutes are played, the teams swap ends with no break, and a further 5 minutes are played. Any score in this 10 minute period secures a win for the scoring team, and the game ends at that point. . If no further scoring occurs, the game is drawn and each team receives one competition point.

However, during the finals series, where a winner must be found on the day, play continues in the second period of extra time until either team scores.

The above is taken from

why this method ?...Penalties are awarded as a punishment for a foul committed inside the box (hand ball, foul tackle etc etc....

The game is football (soccer)....not penalty shootout. It borders on a cowards way out to finish a game, it does not reflect in any way the skill necessary to achieve the games stated purpose....to score goals in the normal course of play.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:15 AM

Something like that, a 'golden goal', has been tried, to try to reduce the number of penalty shootouts. It wasn't that successful.

They can hardly keep playing for hours, until someone scores, as will be the case sometimes.

I guess, just as in life in general, there are no perfect answers.

It borders on a cowards way out to finish a game

You should ask the players who have taken part in penalty shootouts, about the intensity of the situation.

Also, maybe be involved in one yourself, before using the word 'coward'.

Edited by thelittleduck, 04 July 2018 - 07:17 AM.

#15 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

England have just beat Sweden 2-0. We are in the semi final.

I don't think many people saw this happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users