Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fujitsu Lifebook not booting from an external drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheMidnightSnack

TheMidnightSnack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:22 AM

I've recently picked up a Fujitsu Lifebook from a thrift store with no hard drive.

After I got the charger for the laptop, and charged it, I tried booting from a CD with success.

After a while, the laptop was unable to boot from an external drive, going black after startup, regardless of when I try to go to the Bios options.

After that, I'm debating whether I should get a hard drive, if it will work at all.

The exact model number is Lifebook P1510D

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:39 PM

According to the model number you gave these are its specs -

https://www.cnet.com/products/fujitsu-lifebook-p1510d-8-9-pentium-m-753-win-xp-pro-1-gb-ram-60-gb-hdd-series/specs/

The model range was released to market in 2005 so you are talking an old notebook here and, in modern terms, very poorly specified. These specs do not say but it may well be an IDE connected hard drive at that age and if it is you may well have some trouble finding one unless you have an old one lying around.

Without a hard drive you don't have an operating system for it and that would be another expense. If you really want to find out what this notebook is capable of I suggest you try one of the lightweight versions of Linux running off a USB memory stick. Mint XFCE is a possibility or, for an even lighter version, try one of the many members of the 'Puppy' family. For advice on a Linux based OS go and start a topic in the Linux section of BC.

Chris Cosgrove

PS -  And welcome to BC !

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 16 June 2018 - 05:41 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:38 PM

For your reference here is your manual. On page 22 under your Boot section in BIOS.

Boot Menu: • Disabled • Enabled [Enabled] This field is not active unless the Supervisor’s Password has been set. When disabled, access to the Boot Menu with the [F12] key is disabled. When enabled, the Boot Menu is enabled and the [F12] key will allow you to display it. 

Setting a Supervisor Password (page 17) will allow you to tap F12 at boot to select your boot device. That may help. Keep the password simple. It may already be enabled.

http://www.fujitsupc.com/www/content/pdf/SupportGuides/P1510D_05FAL_BIOSGUIDE.PDF

When you say the computer refused to boot from an external drive, are you referring to a bootable USB flash drive. I am not sure this old computer could boot from anything other than a CD I doubt it could boot from a USB external hard drive or USB flash drive. Looking at page 23 the only boot options are Floppy disk, CD, or hard drive. Hard drive being an internal, not external.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 June 2018 - 06:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users