Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop in Windows 10 has a black band on each side of the image.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

I have a friend that has a HP laptop.  She had a black panel on each side of the image that she uses for her desktop.

I rest the computer to factory specs and was able to save all the data to a external.  After resetting the computer and placing

all the information back onto the computer I was able to use the lock screen picture which fills the screen perfectly.

The picture used for the desktop fills the entire screen (what I usually want an image to do) but does not have the black panels on

each side of the screen.  She was able to put her icons on the black panel (both sides).

I don't know if this is a screen resolution problem or something different.  I tried changing to resolution and was able to create the black

panels but could not put any icon on the panels.

I'm sure it is a simple fix but I have not been able to come up with how to do this.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

The desktop wallpaper image probably has a 4:3 aspect ratio, and the setting had got changed to the wrong fit choice.

In the Background section of Personalization settings, you can choose a fit to control how the image occupies the desktop. If the colors are set to a plain black background and the fit selection for the image is not set to make it fill the screen, there will be a black region of desktop where you can put icons as normal.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:16 AM

Thanks.  You nailed it.  I have it set up exactly as I needed!!!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

:thumbup2:

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users