Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP stops loading.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sensitivetbman

sensitivetbman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

I have a laptop that is Windows XP & each time I try starting it up, it goes to the Windows screen & freezes. I chose to go to the command prompt way & it starts to go through the list but it stops at multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys. I tried to look for a disc online to fix this online but I don't know what exactly I'm looking for. Can someone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

Try entering safe mode by tapping one of the F-keys repeatedly when booting from shut-down. If you can boot Windows in safe mode, most likely there is a driver that is corrupted. Then try to run SFC /SCANNOW from a command prompt to attempt repair, or Last Known Good Configuration will work also if that option is given.

If XP still freezes, then start the diagnosing process:

> Test the memory: Download and burn to a CD or DVD Memtest 86+; make sure your BIOS is set to 1st boot device=CD, and boot from the disk in the drive. One complete pass is all you need, running it for multiple passes is not necessary. Any red postings at the bottom of the screen means your memory is bad.

> Test the hard drive: Download and burn to a CD Seatools for DOS; same procedure and with Memtest. Choose the short test (upper left corner of the screen). You will get a pass or fail notice. If you get a notice that SMART has failed and do you want to continue? choose Yes and let it complete. Post the results.

This will get you started for now.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

If the system was working fine prior to this incident what do you think happened to it?

Did the system have a power failure, power interruption, aborted restart, ungraceful shutdown, power button, reset button, plug pulling, etc.

With XP when the last thing you see in Safe Mode is mup.sys many folks go to great lengths to try to replace mup.sys but that is not the problem - mup.sys has already loaded and the problem is what comes after mup.sys.

With XP what happens after mup.sys is XP checks all the volumes (hard drives) to see if the dirty bit is set and if a volume is found to be dirty, XP will run a chkdsk with error correction (chkdsk  /r) in order to try and fix the afflicted volume.  It could also be that you have scheduled a chkdsk with error correction to run on the next reboot, then booted into Safe Mode.

So your system may appear to be stuck or hung but if you look at the HDD access light to see if it is blinking or listen, you can probably see the system is "working" and that could take a very long time (several to many hours) to complete. 

Do not interrupt the system - it will finish one way or another sooner or later.  Turning off your system with the power switch or unplugging it could make things worse.

If anyone wants to see the problem, schedule a chkdsk with error correction to run on the next reboot, then boot into Safe Mode.  The last thing you will see on the screen is mup.sys loading and will have to wait for the chkdsk to finish.

There is a chance the system may just hang forever and if that is the case you need to run the chkdsk with error correction yourself but you are going to have to boot on something in order to do that.

If you are not sure what you have for bootable media, make yourself a Hiren's Boot CD, boot on that into the Mini XP mode and run the chkdsk from there. 

Here's how:

Make yourself a Hiren's Boot CD which you can download from here:

The ZIP file is large, so the download will probably take a little while to complete bit it is worth it.  Then unzip the download to extract the Hirens.BootCD.ISO file that will be used to create your new bootable CD.

Creating a bootable CD from a .ISO file is not the same as just copying the .ISO file to a blank CD.  You have to use software that understands how to burn a .ISO file to a CD to create a bootable CD.

In the Hiren's ZIP file are the BurnToCD.cmd file that you can double click to launch it, but I have never used it and prefer to use ImgBurn.

If you need a free and easy CD burning software package, here is a popular free program:

Like many third party programs you might install, the ImgBurn installation defaults to installing things you probably don't want installed on your system in the form of extra Internet browser toolbars or may make other adjustments to your browser.  You don't want that so you have to pay attention during the installation.

When clicking through the installation screens be sure to pay attention to the screens and always choose a Custom install and UNcheck the following (or any other things that look like it):

UNcheck:

Install the AVG toolbar and set AVG Secure Search as my default search provider
Set AVG Secure Search as my homepage and newly opened tabs

Choose custom installation again and UNcheck the following:

Uncheck:
Install QuickShare

Here are some instructions for ImgBurn:

It would be a good idea to test your new bootable CD on a computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk. 

These adjustments are  made before Windows tries to load.  If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When booting on the Hiren's CD you will see a menu of options.  Choose the Mini XP option.  Then it will appear that Windows is being loaded and you will be presented with a desktop that has the look and feel of the Windows Explorer interface you are already used to using.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

cmd

Click OK to open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command (assuming XP is installed on your C drive)

chkdsk  c:  /r

This disk checking can take a long time (perhaps several to many hours) depending on the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume and what the disk checking finds to do.  You may have to run it more than once.

Edited by joseibarra, 17 June 2018 - 02:09 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Note that if you happen to have a bootable XP SP3 installation CD or have bothered to make an XP Recovery Console you could run the chkdsk from there - maybe.

There are many reasons that might not work though...  most people don't have such a thing, don't know how to make one and if the system has SATA drives it probably won't work properly.

If you have the Recovery Console installed as a boot option (a good idea) that will usually work fine but it comes with other limitations that unless you have considered them in advance wont allow some operations.

So instead of suggesting things to try that might work on some systems some of the time, I offer the Hiren's option which (so far) seems to work on all systems all of the time - and you will be glad you have it in the future.

Edited by joseibarra, 16 June 2018 - 11:32 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 JenB5

JenB5

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:55 AM

I have an XP Prof. I will not get out of the boot from cd mode. I am not able to obtain the safe mode with F8 and I do not have any prompt option to run a task. What can I do to get access and do an updated backup of data at a minimum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users