Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Fast Should Cable Internet Download?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:53 PM

I am downloading a demo for that new battlefield game and I was wondering if my internet should be downloading it faster. Its a little over a gig file but its taken like 15 minutes to download 4% (around 45 mb). At the same time an update for adobe reader came up which was about 30 megabytes and downloaded in a minute. this is only downloading at around 30 kilobytes a second shouldn't it be going faster? Oh and I'm useing mozilla firefox if that helps.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

It would help to know what your providers posted/advertised bandwidth speeds are? Not all cable internet providers are created equal. :thumbsup:

Be (Upload/Download spec) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:05 PM

oh it advertises 5mbps
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:32 PM

It is obvious that the game is not downloading as fast as the Adobe download. The game's server is the weak link in the chain. If you have a choice of download sites, pick one the closest to you geographically. If not, try to pick a less busy time to download.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

ok thanks.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

Dont forget that some sites cap the free download speed at their server. This may be the web site, not your computer or internet.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users