Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My download speed is 1/4 of what's supposed to be....help...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Willys

Willys

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:33 AM

OK, Here is what I have noticed and have done...but first I hate computers after they do anything but let me chat on forums and research information or play silly FB games and I play only 2, pirates of furtune and stormfall age oif war....silly time wasting games that really are click and play crap no brain waves really requires so I enjoy them when I'm bored. Embarrasing crap aside....oh and I know absolutly zero about  what does what and why when computers are concerned other than the very very basics.

So, here goes. When you first click to open a page, site etc you get the round blue spining circle thing , well when I have 120mbps it spins as it should, when I know I'm getting stupidiy low numbers like 38mbps it spins far slower and obviously things open far slower. This is what starts my searching for answers to why. I now go to 3  speedcheck sites to see what my speeds are. As I have said On good days or times I get 125 mbps plus, I pay for 100mbps or better from Rogers unlimited service. It's the best they offer where I am on a semi country road. I use speed check, Olka,and speed test then one supplied by Rogers. Guess which one always says I'm getting perfect speeds...lol. Yep rogers.  When it's slow the others give me a slight range in the 36-50ish range mbps download only. The ping speed and upload speed is perfect!  It's only the download speed that is effected.  I have 2 computers, 2 TV's, countless handheld devices that I do not use but the wife and daughter live on. I have had issues from all suppliers for internet since owning a computer here....but Rogers is the best I can deal with and have had good service in the past 6 years or more, so not complaining about them as a provider. I hate Bell.....lol. I figure all secondary suppliers use either one of the two big guys systems so why bother with them if it's a hardware problem which is normally is. Also I have replaced every wire, conecter from their wire running down the street to my keyboard so I am very confident it's nothing my end causing this. Both PCs and both TV are hard wired to the modem so it's just the hand held units that are wireless and they all work well as far as they showed me.  The guy yesterday even changed every connecter looking for an issue after me demanding it wasn't my stuff causing the problem. But after he brought in his laptop from his truck and used new wiring from modem it showed naturally perfect speeds, so he gave up and stopped replacing anything else and pointed finally at my PC....but as I said he did replece everything before bringing in his laptop. which if he hadn't I wouldn't have believed that it was my PC. He was pleasant enough, very young and poorly trained imho, 2 months training and they send him out on his own, not an experienced service guy for complicated issues imho.?  But he did more than the regualr techs so I really can't complain. I still semi don't really think it's my PC as I can still get a slow ready from a tablet, a cheap samsung crap unit when turned on next to the modem...? 

So thats the long version all jumbled up.....as I hought of stuff....sorry.

As for my PC....a good buddy who I don't see anymore as he moved away built the system for me years ago, he's extremely knowledgable playing serious gaming and writing code for the games etc etc and has since moved to Cali to do so after being head hunted......so I'm guessing he did a good job for what I needed and wanted to spend back then. Here's what it is.....ASUS FZA55-M LE mother board  

Pocessor AMD-5400K APU with Radium

HD Graphics 3.6GHZ

Installed Ram 8 GB    7.45 GB useable

System Type 64 bit X 64 based processor

Windows 10 PRO version 1709

Local storage 1.81 TB 149GB used

I have a back-up storage Ram  1.8TB  686 GB used

McAfee virus etc plus malware, spybot and C-Cleaner windows defender all say there's nothing wrong in my PC as in virus etc etc....

One thing I have noticed is a smell that smells like a dead rodent down here in the basement which is finished but we can't find said dead rodent anywhere.....and after freebreezing the place that smell goes away....doh.....now I can't really smell that smell from open PC container so that is why I'm thinking it isn't a burnt board to that extent, or could it be and it's the fans in the PC blowing the smell around..????   It isn't the tupical electrical burnt smell and believe me i have smelt my fair share of electrical components...lol. When I look at the mother board I see zero issues such as burnt connectors, swelled caps, laking caps, nothing out of the ordinary, no dust build up as I blow it out semi regularly.  All connections solid also....

I took electrical engineering for a year and hated it once AC was introduced.....I switched to mechanical at that time and passed that with high honors, that was semi simple...I need a 3D image in my skull to learn things the majical force that electricity is I can't see in this way so i crashed and burnt...more smells...lol.

Again sorry to go on, but I think more info is better than no  info. 

Not sure what else to tell you that I know that may help you to figure it out......if you wish me to call etc I have free long distance  so my pleasure....i you can help..?    No problem.

I did try looking up a new motherboard but see they are no longer available, they are relatively cheap, so IF the stuff I have attached to it will clip onto a new board then maybe that's the way to go?

Oh. I also have a back up battery power set-up if the power goes out to allow me to safely shut things down etc etc. I also have a back up hard drive

Another thought and I do not know if this is even possible, but can someone send a hot shot or a power surge type thing into my PC from another source...? I am very vocal on some topics that could easily provoke such actions IF this is possible.....is it..?    Seeing as it's just my download speed could someone have simply sent me something to damage that?  Just a jab in the dark..?

Please help....I'm going insane...lol.

If it's a mother board issue and i can swap out my hardware or whatever it's called i will or if it's not feasable I will swap out the PC for a laptop and join the 21 st century if i'm fored to. I hate the smaller screens,I'm 60, and also I like a mouse and keyboard, maybe just because that's what I'm used to...?

Thanks again....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:57 AM

test your speed....what is it?

http://www.speedtest.net/

#3 Willys

Willys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:13 AM

That all depends upon which searver I send test to...If I send to a very close one it's what it should be, 0 ping 138 download 10,.7 upload.....but not all the time. IF I send to an hour or more drive away it gets 14 ping 38-68 download and normal upload of 10.7 or so

IF I send it to a further out of town to a small town near by it fails

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:15 AM

That all depends upon which searver I send test to...If I send to a very close one it's what it should be, 0 ping 138 download 10,.7 upload.....but not all the time. IF I send to an hour or more drive away it gets 14 ping 38-68 download and normal upload of 10.7 or so

IF I send it to a further out of town to a small town near by it fails

you say its 1/4 of "supposed to be"....how did you determine what "suppose to be" is?

Edited by mikey11, 15 June 2018 - 09:16 AM.

#5 Willys

Willys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

By what I pay for 100plus MBPS....and i can see it on the wife's PC and her laptop 138mbps

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

how many computers do you have connected?.....how are they connected?...plugged in? or wireless?

By what I pay for 100plus MBPS....and i can see it on the wife's PC and her laptop 138mbps

#7 Willys

Willys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

I have 2 wired PCs and 3 or more handheld items such as laptops or tablets phones.....in the house...at the moment one TV is on, and this PC and a cell phone is working or someone is using it.

I just too the mother board out and carefull examined it, no burnt items I can see visually, no broken tracks or wires, fans all clean and running, took off heat sink for main chip...the white goo has dried up somewhat to go between heat sink and chip, took chip out to see, perfect, not hot or warm, felt everything else for heat sources, nothing except  the heat sink that has two spring load pressure pins on it with the name ASUS on it and it's blue in colour...that heat sink I can feel heat as in back of the finger it's warm, it has no fan. Hard drive is slightly warm also, making zero strange sounds. It's all back up and running again now, same issue slow download speeds.

what else...????

The smell is coming from this PC I think...but it's not the typical burnt electronics type smell, like I said the only thing I can think of is a dead mouse type smell....strange?  Could it be the dried up contact goo beteen the main chip and that massive heat sink getting warmed up and smelling trying to cool it?  OR is it something definately cooked? I know you can smell through the internet so I'm giving you as much info as I possibly can...

Edited by Willys, 15 June 2018 - 10:25 AM.

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:33 AM

did you clean and apply new thermal paste between the chip and heat sink before you put it back together?

im also a bit confused, you say there is no fan on the cpu heat sink?

take a pic of the inside of the case,

also download and run speccy, and post that log here

#9 Willys

Willys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:55 AM

OK, having trouble finding out how to take a screen shot and post it here....augh, I'm an old dinasaur when it comes to computers.....sorry.

The CPU is the only thing that is generating heat as from the Seccy program check, does run up to the 70 degree mark and then comes back down to a more friendly green temp so it shows..? The rest are almost non existant temp wise.

Sorry editing....no I didn't clean and replace white paste when I took it apart etc, but I can, if need be. Will look for paste....should have some. back soon.

Edited by Willys, 15 June 2018 - 10:57 AM.

#10 muroga

muroga

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Open about net connection speed as advertisementized theyre not realistic respresentations of your average real world experience theyre done under ideal conditions. In the real real theres interface from other devices, physical obstacles, network adapter compatibility issues, etc . Honestly there doesnt sound like theres anything wrong its just the reality that your speed arent going to be great all the time.
You can get the most out of your equipment by making sure your network adapter card and your modem/router have the most complementary settings enabled. Based on your speeds Id say youre using a 2.4 g b/g/n network make sure your pcs adapter setting are configured accordingly. Consider a different router or maybe a new isp/plan, I dont how viable an option that is for you but if youre really unsatified with what you have....

I dont think theres anything wrong with your motherboard at this point. If your pc is freezing, not powering up or down properly, usb or ethernet ports dont work....then maybe your system board is damaged otherwise from what you describe I doubt there is anything wrong. Its the ethernet and wireless device(s) you need to look at.

#11 Willys

Willys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:31 PM

OK, where I am at the moment is, I have found the area that tell you how much percentage of the CPU is being used to operate .....I have found so many programs or files running behind the scenes that it is running at between 25% and 35% just sitting there...augh!  The second i open something simple like a FB game like Tides of Fortune Pirates it jumps to 100% and stays there until it stops loading etc, then as soon as I start doing anything it shoot straight back up to 100%. So my CPU is overloaded and it's getting hot just trying to keep up possibly this causing the slight burning smell, not electrical burnt smell but a burnt smell all the same. This also would explain the slow download speed wouldn't it? 

The next question is........seeing as there are so many programs running, how does one know which ones are really required to operate the computer? Is there a program which solves this for you? OR is this a comp tech's speciality deal and going to cost me more than it's worth?

IF that is the case, I'll be searching for a laptop tomorrow....now to learn about them asap. Just incase.....augh!

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. You guys have all the knowledge that is why I'm here...lol.

I have a list so to speak from reading already..

1: screen size on the larger size at least 15" with the capability of being able to run my monitor which is large 21" I think? HD 1920X1080 res.  IPS viewing

2:Keyboard, larger keys, space between keys and backlit

4: CPU    Intel Core i5

5: Ram    4GB or better...?

6: Storage    SSD 128GB or better

7:Battery life    44Wh-50Wh  is good...?

8: USB 3.0    more the better

9: build quality to be strong, rain and dust proof..?

10:Things I think I need:

able to run my monitor so I can sit at my desk and not squint at screen, the plug for the monitor is large with two thumb screws holding it in place

to be able to use normal mouse

to be able to use normal keyboard maybe?

can it be hardwired to modem or is this really not required to get the best signal?

what about external storage back-up capability?

ill it be able to allow external sound system?

be able to allow me to have Gmail, FB and forums open and run fine.....not sure if that explains it well enough?  I normally have many pages open at one time.

Again any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks ahead of time...

#12 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:14 AM

sounds like you have too many programs running in the background....

perform a clean boot and see if it helps.....

go to this link.....scroll down a bit to "how to perform a clean boot"

at the BOTTOM of that section you need to click on your version of windows....then the instructions will pop up.....follow the instructions carefully.....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Edited by mikey11, 16 June 2018 - 07:15 AM.

#13 Willys

Willys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:39 PM

Yes I did, I have deleted all other anti virus software etc and it seems to have sped up, but I have also checked the speeds and naturally Rogers was lightening  fast but the other 3 were the same 38-58 mbps on the download side only the other was the typical numbers......I also blew the heck out of the PC and fans etc and some dust did come out but not much as I did it not that long ago.  

I have a chance possibly to get this machine maybe if  the better half agrees, lol.

https://www.cdw.ca/product/HP-ProBook-470-G4-17.3-Core-i7-7500U-8-GB-RAM-1-TB-HDD-US/4332053?pfm=srh&expand=TS#TS

What's your thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users