Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What exactly is svchost.exe?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 techblogger911

techblogger911

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:31 AM

So I have encountered issues with svchost for so long now. I mean at first I read that it is a necessary process until one day I got a prompt that I don't remember what exactly said but after that all the applications such as chrome, I was asked to open chrome as a file from the list above, that list consisted of the other applications such as paint,adobe,word and so on.

I did a complete reset and re-installed windows and the problems comes all the time, what should I do ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:11 AM

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:20 AM

So far you haven't stated what "the issue" or what "the problem" is.

A fairly common complaint is that there a multiple svchost Processes seen running in Task manager but that is normal to see 6, 8, 10...  it depends on your system configuration.

Each svchost Process is "hosting" important Windows Services that run underneath it.  Each svchost Process might be hosting one Windows Service or several Windows Services.

So each svchost Processes is hosting services - hence the name.

Another common complaint (and what is abnormal) is for one of the svchost Processes to be running amok consuming large amounts of CPU and memory.

Normally the svchost Processes should be using zero CPU and you might see occasional CPU usage blip once in a while.  For the most part they are very quiet.

A popular theory and misconception is that when a svchost Process is running amok is that there is a "memory leak" in svchost.exe but there is no memory leak in svchost.exe.

If there was a memory leak in svchost.exe then systems all over the planet would be malfunctioning - and they're not.

Along with the misconception of a memory leak is plenty of not so good advice about what to do to fix the non existent memory leak and those suggestions usually begin with the word "try".

If a svchost Process is running amok there is always a reason for it and you can figure it out and fix it by doing things and not trying things.

This looks pretty normal for my system when not much is going on:

[attachment=205135:Untitled.jpg]

Edited by joseibarra, 16 June 2018 - 03:21 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users