Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 computer hangs randomly (no BSOD)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mwalimu

mwalimu

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:02 PM

Computer: Minitower, purchased from CyberPowerPC about 4 years ago
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) OEM, current with Windows updates (or pretty close)
Motherboard: MSI MS-7641 760GM-P34(FX) chipset SB750/SB710
Processor: AMD FX Quad-core 3.80GHz
RAM: 8GB
Display adapter: AMD Radeon R7 200 series with 2G memory
Hard drives: Toshiba DT01ACA050 (C:, boot, 500GB); Toshiba DT01ACA300 (E: & F: partitions, 3TB); HGST HDN728080ALE604 (G:, 8TB)
Power supply: Thermaltake(?); unfortunately I cannot access the label with the wattage without removing the power supply, but the old one that failed last year was 500W and I'm virtually certain the replacement I bought was higher wattage.

Problem: My computer will, out of the blue, go into some sort of hibernate mode (without giving me a BSOD). It usually happens while I'm actively using the computer (often while navigating in Firefox). The display drops off, the same as if I had pressed the keys to lock the computer and put it into power saving mode, but nothing I do with the mouse or keyboard can wake it up, meaning no opportunity to gracefully save/exit any open applications. Once it happens, the only way I can regain control of the computer is to do a hard shutdown and restart it. Once restarted, everything works normally again aside from applications recovering from a computer crash. This first happened about 3 months ago and at first was weeks apart, but lately it's been happening much more often, 3-4 times per week.

I normally leave this computer running full time (with me not directly using it maybe 90% of the time), and so far there's only been one instance of it hanging like this while I was away from it, so there appears to be a correlation to it happening while I'm doing things at the computer, but it's not absolute. It happens at random; I have no idea what triggers the problem other than that it usually happens during the 10% of the time I'm interacting with the computer.

Thinking it might be the monitor, I tried plugging in a second one. The next time it happened, both monitors went down, so I doubt it's the monitor. I haven't ruled out the graphics card but don't know how to tell if that's the problem.

I also tried setting up TeamViewer to access and control the computer from my other computer. When the problem next occurred and I tried to start a remote session, TeamViewer hung indefinitely on "Connecting..."

There is evidence that at least some processes/subsystems on the hung computer still work. In particular, it has network drives that are still accessible from the other computer - I can navigate between folders on those drives and access files when it's in this hung state. In one case the hung computer was in the middle of a long-running process that should have eventually written a file to one of those drives, so I watched for the file, and it never appeared, so I concluded the process was basically screwed once the computer hung. It's as if the computer goes into some hybrid of locked, hibernated, and blue-screened.

The drivers for my display adapter are current as far as I know.

I run MalwareBytes AntiMalware Premium and Avast Free Edition, and neither has reported any malware issues.

I've run chkdsk (at least on the c: drive) and sfc /scannow. They didn't find any problems (or fixed them quietly if they did). The problem has reoccurred since then.

I've also run HWiNFO64 and while that problem provides more diagnostic information than I'd know what to do with, it didn't highlight anything as obviously wrong and nothing I could think to look at showed any problems (but I'll gladly take a peek at anything that may be relevant).

Following a couple of recent occurrences, I also looked in Event Viewer and didn't spot anything obvious, though here also I'm not entirely sure what to look for.

So, any ideas what the problem might be? What to check, any diagnostics I could run?

If something's failing I'm prepared to spend money to replace it, once I know it'll fix the problem. I really hate spending money on "try this and see if it helps".

mwalimu

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   1.93MB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mwalimu

mwalimu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:33 PM

Bump?

Problem continues to happen, including a second occurrence while the computer was unattended though it's still most often while the computer is being used interactively.

#3 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:26 PM

Please run the tool again, and post up the latest files. Once you do that, I will take a look. Sorry if your post had been overlooked.

#4 mwalimu

mwalimu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:10 AM

All right, here goes... Files attached.

For what it's worth, one of the recent "hangs" occurred while VLC was playing a video file. The audio continued to play after the screen went dead.

My hunch is that the video card is going bad, but at this point that's just a guess.

Attached Files

Edited by mwalimu, 25 June 2018 - 01:11 AM.

#5 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

Have you been monitoring your computers heat?

#6 mwalimu

mwalimu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

I've checked the temperature settings I can find in HWiNFO64 and none of them look out of bounds. The CPU, PS, and case fans are all working except one case fan that died over a year ago. I checked for excess dust and there wasn't that much (I vacuumed it out anyway). I could probably remove the CPU fan to make sure there isn't a bunch accumulated beneath it (I don't think there is).

That said, I doubt it's a temperature problem. The last time one of my computers did thermal shutdowns it took the computer all the way down (and was easily correlated to a very CPU-intensive activity I was using it for at the time), whereas in this case it hangs and continues running in this indefinite hung state. Also, when it happens I can immediately restart the computer and it runs fine again for hours or days, whereas if it were temperature related I would expect there to be a high incidence of the computer hanging again in short order.

One of my data hard drives (not the boot drive) shows a very high number of read recovery attempts in its SMART device statistics (it's actually my newest drive). Could that have something to do with it?

#7 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:11 PM

HWiNFO Kernel Driver ROOT\LEGACY_HWINFO\0000 This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.

Are you sure everything is installed correctly for this? I suggest using Speccy.

#8 mwalimu

mwalimu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:18 AM

Interesting about HWINFO. When I start it up there is no indication of a problem, though it does give me a nag about upgrading to the latest version.

At any rate, I've installed Speccy. So far it seems to think my HDs are running warmer than they should (53C give or take) but other than that nothing stands out as an obvious problem to my untrained eye. Want me to post a snapshot?

#9 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:45 AM

No, just uninstall HWINFO for now and let's see if that goes anywhere. 

I apologize for all of the trial and error type testing.

#10 mwalimu

mwalimu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

After going through all the tabs in task manager and Glary startup manager, I cannot find any indication that HWINFO runs any processes or services in the background (I actually found a couple of unrelated things to remove in startup manager). As far as I can tell, until I actually start it HWINFO is just a program sitting on my hard drive. If we decide to rely on it at all I'd need to upgrade to the latest version and make sure it installed properly. However, for what it's worth I've uninstalled it. Is there a known issue with HWINFO that could be at the bottom of this?

It also occurred to me that the frequency of the hangs increased when my home got warmer, so it may yet turn out to be a temperature issue, but I remain skeptical for the reasons discussed above.

And yes, I realize it may require some experimenting and trying different things. Since the hangs occur randomly and I don't know of a way to make them happen at will, it could be a few days (or weeks) before we can conclude that something has fixed the problem.

#11 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:53 PM

And yes, I realize it may require some experimenting and trying different things. Since the hangs occur randomly and I don't know of a way to make them happen at will, it could be a few days (or weeks) before we can conclude that something has fixed the problem.

I'm glad you understand.

Have you had any recent hangs?

#12 mwalimu

mwalimu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

I'm glad you understand.

Have you had any recent hangs?

Twice in the last four days.

#13 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:14 PM

What have you been doing while its been happening? I know in your first post you said most of the time you're not on it.

#14 mwalimu

mwalimu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:48 PM

It varies. Probably most frequently web browsing (though less of that since the hangs have driven me to doing more of my web browsing on my other computer).

#15 mwalimu

mwalimu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

...and I just had another hang. I was web-surfing in Firefox at the time. Speccy was open and I had peeked at it a couple of times within a few minutes of the hang. The temperature readings all looked normal.

Edit: Since restarting from the above I've noticed in Speccy that the CPU temperature is unusually low, hovering at about 54F/12C when the computer is idle (though it spikes quite a bit when stuff happens on the computer). That seems questionable considering the room is somewhere near 77F/25C, and the other temperature readings are more where I would expect them to be (Motherboard 83F, Graphics 96F, and Storage 119F to 128F). Could the CPU temperature sensor be defective?

Edited by mwalimu, 27 June 2018 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users