Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What the best FREE AV to use for business clients?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:48 PM

I am trying to see what AV to recommend  these days for users that don't want to buy a AV themselves for a number of reasons.

So right now I recommended Avast as a choice since AVG is horrible these days but what else out there is decent for a FREE AV.

We use symantecs for our customers that wanna pay and we try to sell it as best as we can but some people don't get it and want to use a FREE one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

I would think that business clients would be more concerned about the protection employed on their systems...as opposed to us "we just love surfing, etc." users who really don't have much in the way of value to lose if the system is crippled or become inoperable.  A business using a "free" AV program...seems to be concerned about the wrong values when it comes to business records, etc.

That said...I would use MSE since none of the seeming differences in AV programs...aside from the now-current practice of installing other programs with little merit...distinguish themselves in terms of providing simple protection for a computer system.

Louis

#3 MasterNe0

MasterNe0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

Some of these business machines are laptops. As mention, we try our best to sell the ones we used (and it much cheaper then some of the market ones) but if you work in the industry, know how customers can be. Just trying to see what available. This is for their laptops usually where they use it for remote access to their office PC and still want a AV.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

MSE for Windows 7 is basically anti-spyware and Microsoft has pretty much ceased development on it. They recommend using a 3rd party anti-virus.

https://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

If the clients are using Windows 8 or Windows 10 then use Windows Defender. This has improved considerably in AV comparatives Real World Protection test, especially for Windows 10. Use the chart and check April and previous months.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/

FYI. Avast purchased AVG so I would expect some merging after a time. 

Some Free Alternatives

Kaspersky Free 2019, which was just released, is very good other than the political rants on it. It includes SystemWatch which will revert changes done by Malware. The con is most setting are locked.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/kaspersky-free.386916/page-17#post-2761877

Bitdefender Free is another good choice. It has a very minimal interface and is basically install it and forget about it.

Finally Panda Dome Free but it does contain ads. Kaspersky does not but it does have a News channel. 

Note: Because Windows 10 is a service and Microsoft is constantly changing it's code, stick with Windows Defender included with the OS. Some AVs have problems keeping up.

Of the above I have  experience with only Kaspersky free, and Bitdefender free

I use Qihoo 360 Total Security on my XP computer because the CPU does not have the SSE2 instruction set and I have found this is the only decent AV that will work on it. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:57 PM

If you have not done so already, you may want to read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif