Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gifted an abandoned Laptop want to take "Ownership"

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

I received a Toshiba Satellite  L750D-14R which has a COA Sticker on the bottom declaring that it shipped with Windows 7 Home Prem.

Since I didn't have the password, I had to take control of the original owners account using Linux, that done, I was surprised and pleased to see that it was now running  Windows 10 Pro!

OK, so I'm now in effect the previous owner, but I'm having my head pecked by Microsoft because my Hotmail/Outlook Mail account details are out of date, also I'm receiving the same notices regarding his Gmail account.

Since I have no interest in his accounts, I have constantly ignored these requests and also for emergencies sake, I've created my own "Local Account".

I would dearly like to eradicate the original owners account, but first I need to create and link the machine to a new Outlook.com address in my name.

I really want to keep this machine separate from my own two Windows 10 machines, hence the new email account.

The problem I now have is that despite configuring the account "Online" and "seeing" that my new machine is identified, I can't yet sign in using the MS identity.

How do I achieve this please? :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

If you do not require any of the programs on the computer you could do a clean install for Windows 10 per the BC guide. Because the computer was upgraded to 10 the license is stored on Microsoft servers and the OS will activate once online. 

If you do not want to do a clean install, then in the local account delete the Microsoft Accounts. After deleting the Microsoft Accounts then create your new Microsoft Account.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security-winpc/removing-a-microsoft-account-from-a-windows-10/ff7246e8-aedb-4b84-933f-a15448d8748e

#3 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

Thanks JohnC_21, Therre is nothing on the laptop from the previous owner, it seems he has transferred his stuff, along with a copy of Office to his new machine more's the pity! :)

All that is left is "Steam" folder and a shortcut to it on the desktop, I haven't investigated it 'cos I'm not a  gamer and don't understand all   that stuff!

I have scanned the machine with MBAM and SAS as well as with Defender and all have come up clean.

After a nightmare experience doing a first time install on a new build, I'd rather not chance a repeat performance!

Thanks for the link to The MS Communities page, seems pretty straightforward until this rather  sweeping statement by Michelle Her in reply to the first query:-

"You can sign in using the local account you created, then sign in your Microsoft account."

...how does that work?  :unsure:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:20 PM

If there is nothing on the laptop I highly recommend you do a clean install.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

You have a local account currently on the computer you login to. In control panel you can delete the accounts of the previous owner. Then create a new Microsoft account. Login with your local account then do the following.

• To create a local account on your Windows 10 PC:

1. Press the Windows key + R.
  2. Type netplwiz, and then click OK.
  3. Click Add.
  4. Click Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended).
  5. Click Local account, type a username, and a password (if you'd like one).
  6. Click Next, and then click Finish.
  7. Sign out of the Microsoft account you want to delete, sign in using the local account you created, and then remove the account you want to delete.

• To remove a Microsoft account from your Windows 10 PC:

1. Click the Start button, and then click Settings.
  2. Click Accounts, scroll down, and then click the Microsoft account you would like to delete.
  3. Click Remove, and then click Yes.

Once you have deleted the previous owners accounts add your Microsoft Account but this is assuming you have a Microsoft (Outlook) Account already set up.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-add-microsoft-account-windows-10

#5 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:50 PM

Thanks JohnC_21, I did read the above onnn the MS Site, however I didn't realise I  had to create yet another account, in order to be able to sign in using my newly created Outlook email address.

I was expecting to "convert" the "Local Account" I had previously created!

It is clear now!

Doesn't take much to confuse me!

Thanks again.

I'll post back hopefully to advise that it worked!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:55 PM

I don't have Windows 10 but it is my understanding you need to use the local account to delete the previous Microsoft Accounts before adding a Microsoft Account but I could be wrong.

#7 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:16 PM

Just hope that I'm not stuck at the finish with my user account name showing as my email address as the example seems to show, though I would imagine that can be modified!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

I think the Microsoft Account does use an email address to login to. If you don't want that then use a local account and delete your Microsoft Account

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 June 2018 - 04:20 PM.

#9 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:36 PM

I just had to re boot my other machine 'cos I couldn't visualise the log in screen!

You are probably right, it shows a picture which I have set, and then my full name, I suppose that could have been taken from my email account set up details.

Especially since it uses the same password.

It amuses me to think that I could not recall the screen I see so often!

Alzheimer's creeps ever closer! :wacko:    

#10 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:26 PM

Well!... The wheels fell of fairly quickly whilst following the MS instructions!
Quote MS instructions for account removal:-
1) Click the Start button, and then click Settings.
2) Click Accounts, scroll down, and then click the Microsoft account you would like to delete.
3) Click Remove, and then click Yes.

Step one works fine, at step two we step off the bus!
Having clicked on "Accounts" I'm shown my own account details, Picture, "Username", newly created outlook email address, ...that is a recent addition probably triggered by my having configured the account online after creating the new email account.
The detail of my account continues showing me as "Administrator".
There follows a link entitled "Manage My Microsoft Account" and a link to "Verify" my identity".
There is a further link below that entitled "Stop signing in to all Microsoft apps automatically"
Then a link to the camera to create a picture, I or browse for one, finally "Any Questions" and Feedback", ...don't tempt me!

So as you can see MS seem to be halucinating regarding "Accounts you'd like to delete!

Think I'm soon soon going to be a customer here if I carry on without guidance!

Attached File  image.jpeg   37.2KB   0 downloads

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:33 PM

So the accounts from the previous owner are not shown? This was while logged into the "local account", correct?

#12 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

So the accounts from the previous owner are not shown? 

That's right

This was while logged into the "local account", correct?

No, Yesterday, I created an Outlook.com email account intending it to be used in conjunction with the then currently "Local" account for which I had just a "Username", totally unrelated to any existing email address I had, and also totally unrelated to the Outlook.com address I had just created.

Let's say the "Local Account" had the username of "Topcat", I then create an Outlook address named etcetera@outlook.com which at some stage in the creation needed "configuring" online.

I didn't view the "Local" account again after that until attempting the MS instructions above.

At this point, I noticed that my hitherto "Local" account was now associated with the email address.

The log in screen shows my chosen "Username", Topcat, and beneath that is the email address now associated with my "Local Account", making it an "Almost Microsoft Account", because I can't sign in using the MS Account Password! I still have to use the one I created for the Local account.

With my other PC's, the account shown on the machine log in screen is in my actual full name (not a Username), it doesn't show the associated email address though the password to log in to the PC is the same as the email account password.

On the up side, I've managed to find my way to the correct place to uninstall the previous owner's account and remnants of his data, ...and the sky stayed up!

I have absolutely no idea how I blundered into the correct course of action, I'm thinking maybe I should strap a GoPro to my head to record my wanderings in the event I wish to document the process, or just to find my way home!

Didn't have as much luck uninstalling his toys though, \I first uninstalled "Steam" using "Progs & Features", sadly that left behind an installation called "Football Manager" which when I attempted to "uninstall" it tells me it can't find the file "Steam"!

So I'm left with an installation which can't be deleted! seems I'll have to get involved with the "gaming crowd" for some advice on that one!

So nearly there!

As they say, close but no Cigar!

Perhaps just as well since I gave up smoking 10 years ago!

Edited by six-h, 14 June 2018 - 07:00 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:01 PM

If you have the time I believe it would be in your best interest to to a clean install as you don't know what is on the computer or sites visited by the previous owner but it's good to know you have finally prevailed in removing the previous owners accounts.  :)

#14 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

Resisting that at all costs!

Don't want to re-visit those problems!

I'm also mystified as to how he managed to get a legit install of W10 Pro, on the back of the COA that evidences the original OS was "Win 7 Home Premium" which I believe would qualify for the "Win 10 Home" upgrade.

So I think a clean install might not be as simple as that!

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

Resisting that at all costs!

Don't want to re-visit those problems!

I'm also mystified as to how he managed to get a legit install of W10 Pro, on the back of the COA that evidences the original OS was "Win 7 Home Premium" which I believe would qualify for the "Win 10 Home" upgrade.

So I think a clean install might not be as simple as that!

That is a different story then. The upgrade should have given Windows 10 home and not Pro unless he purchased a license. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users