Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

device not found. clone fails. source still works.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

hello,

I have attempted to clone a HGST 750gb HTS54175A9E680 hard drive several times without success.  it is a windows10 OS.  the laptop that the hard drive came out of is a HP envy.  first, I purchased a hard drive of the same model HTS54175A9E680, then I attempted to clone with norton ghost, acronis enterprise, and driveimage.  all my attempts failed, and the last try gave me an error that my destination hard drive was too small.  I purchased a WD black 1tb and used acronis enterprise and my clone went successfully according to acronis.  when I tried to boot the hard drive I received the error message 'boot device not found'.  I immediately put the source hard drive in and it booted perfectly with no changes to the bios.  just swapped hard drives and pushed the power button.

I would like to make it clear that I didn't 'prep' either new hard drive in any way.  I used the cloning software on a hard drive right out of the package.

I also need to mention that I am using a public computer at a library and responding every day won't be possible.  I WILL respond every chance I get.

do I need to 'initialize' the hard drive?  I recall when I bought a new hard drive that I had to use gparted to do some kind of msdos on the HD (I wish I could remember exactly what it said), but I can't remember what the process was called.  gparted was set up in a way that it pointed you right in the direction of the required procedure.  it gave an error message and the message also told you what to do.

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:28 AM

If you have a USB external drive then create a disk image to the USB external and restore to the new drive with the Acronis boot disk it lets you create or use Macrium Reflect Free. 

Are you cloning the drive via a USB port?

If creating a disk image and restoring it to the new drive does not work then I would clone the drive with Clonezilla Live CD. It's is a little different. See the below video. Make sure you are selecting the correct source and target disks.

FYI. The target drive does not have to be formatted when cloning or restoring a disk image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41tTudaQb0I

#3 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

Hello John C,

Yes I am sure I chose the correct source and destination hard drives I have cloned several hard drives in the past and it's been awhile since the last time I did it

There are several technical areas that I am not as knowledgeable as I would like to be for instance UEFI and GPT I thought perhaps windows10 had a procedure that I was not familiar with

I have been performing the clone procedure with a computer that I install both hard drives directly to the motherboard with SATA cables I have not been using USB

I am forced to use a public computer at the library these days so if the Clonezilla disc is more than one gig then I won't be able to obtain it even if you bring your own storage the library computers only let you download 1 gig I have an old Clonezilla disk but it is several years old and gave me an error

I have also successfully used macrium reflect more than once I appreciate the suggestion if I can find that disc I will try it again

Thanks for the reply

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:22 PM

The Clonezilla download is about 280MB. For UEFI secureboot computers you would need to download the AMD64 Ubuntu based alternate version but I still believe you would need to disable SecureBoot in order to boot the Live CD. 

You can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB or use the program in the video I linked to.

Macrium Free is available for download and on a Windows 10 computer you can create the WinPE disk. I know that program has no issue with UEFI/Secureboot disks. The WinPE disk can boot with SecureBoot enabled if I can recall correctly.

There should be no special requirements when cloning the GPT/UEFI Windows 10 disk as far as I know. 

One other point. You may want to disable Fast Startup to take the hibernation file out of the picture.

After disabling Fast Startup I do the following commands at an elevated command prompt.

powercfg.exe -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Edit: And I would also disable any Security Software before doing the clone if you are doing it in Windows.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 June 2018 - 05:27 PM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

I've had to use a partition/disk manager to mark the boot partition Active.  And, I made sure boot partition and the OS partition remained Primary.  I'm sure you did not attempt booting the clone while the original was still inside the computer -- I mention this because my Acer 772G can have two internal hard-drives -- your laptop only accepts one internal HD at a time correct?

Disclosure:  This happens during my restoring boot partition, OS partition, Data partition onto a different internal hard-drive.  I have not used cloning for years now.

Edited by RolandJS, 15 June 2018 - 07:00 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:24 AM

Hello John

I am glad for the links to Clonezilla I was able to put the ISO on a disk and I attempted the Clone but it failed this is what the error message said

NTFS clone - ng.c NTFS volume / dev/sda4 is scheduled for a check or it was shut down uncleanly please boot Windows or fix it by fsck

Yes I am considering the possibility there are issues with the source hard drive and Clonezilla offers an option to fix errors on the source drive as it finds them but I declined to use that option with the possibility that I could always use it later
I choose to exhaust all options before I do anything else to the source hard drive

The Source hard drive works fine in the computer but I know that doesn't mean there are not issues with it I know it could still have problems
I was able to successfully download the Rufus as well
I don't think macri will be so easy to use because when you run the executable you need to have internet connection the setup connect to the macrium servers
If I remember correctly it requires an internet connection to work properly
I would love it if the public library let us plug ethernet in somewhere but they don't they only allow Wi-Fi
Of course they allow us to use their computers which I have to admit I'm grateful for

I work almost everyday so I fit this in when I can in between shifts

Thank you for the reply and awesome links and I'll keep you informed

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:36 AM

I would run chkdisk /f on the drive and then do a defrag. 

#8 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

Hello Roland

I am glad you mentioned that because it's been awhile since I cloned and I do recall having to do that at least once there was never an issue with the partition remaining primary I had to make the partition active
I have to admit I completely forgot about that this time and I will give that a check with a gparted disk
I do the cloning in a separate desktop computer connected directly to the motherboard with SATA cables the laptop computer is only connected to one internal hard drive at a time

Thank you for the suggestions

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:52 AM

I am not sure you can do that with Gparted. You would need to boot into windows and run chkdsk /f at the command prompt or ntfsfix from a terminal on each sdax partition. Edit. Gparted probably does have the ntfsfix command available but it's not as powerful and chkdsk. fsck only works for linux file systems.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 June 2018 - 08:53 AM.

#10 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

Yes fsck is a Linux procedure
Even the Linux tools recommend using Windows check disk over everything else
It's a good thing I did decide to use the gparted disc because now I'm seeing the sda3 Source partition is declared as An unknown file system
It appears the Clone didn't go as it should have because the destination Drive has both SDA 3 and SDA 4 as an unknown filesystem
This is definitely concerning because SDA 3 should be seen as NTFS and it wouldn't bother me to run check disk again but I've already done it and I don't think it will help
I'll do the check disk and a defrag and let you know

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:22 AM

How are the partitions shown in Disk Management? Or using diskpart command.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X   X being the sda disk, probably 0

list volume

#12 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

I will give you an entire Rundown of all the partitions so I'm not missing anything
Sda1 is a basic data partition NTFS with a label WINRE. Size 400mb 253 of that is used and it is flagged as a diag
Sda2 is an EFI system partition fat32 that is 260mb 102 of that is used and flagged as boot esp
Sda3 is described by gparted as a Microsoft reserved partition . According to G parted this partition is 128 MB. And under Flags it says msftres
There is more to tell you about this partition which I will and you may find this intriguing
Sda4 is a basic data partition and the main windows partition that is 670 gigs and flagged as msftdata
It was described as NTFS on the source hard drive but the cloned hard drive described it as unknown
Sda5 has little information except NTFS 986 MB. 640mb used and flagged as hidden diag
Sda6 has little information except NTFS 350 MB. 26 MB used and flagged as hidden diag
Sda7 is a basic data partition NTFS labeled recovery size 27 gigs of that 25 gigs used and flagged as msft data

Now to return to sda3
I did a Google search on 128 MB partition missing
I found a thread on a Dell website that described what has been going on with this partition and it said this

Microsoft reserved partition
a Microsoft reserved partition is only created when a drive formatted in a globally unique identifier or GUID partition table GPT format and when the bias is set for unified extensible firmware interface UEFI . drives less than 16 gigs will have a 32mb MSR where drives larger than 16gb will have a 128 megabyte MSR
Note
GPT is required for partitions larger than 2 terabytes
this partition is required for guid and must reside before the primary windows partition. some users may wish to delete this partition however it is required for GPT partition drives. this partition can be viewed by the diskpart tool, but is not visible in Windows disk management

There is more I would like to say but my battery is about to run dead and I need to post quickly thanks for hanging in there with me

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

Was this an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1?

Technically the MSR is not required. On a clean install of Windows 10 the MSR is now 16MB. 

Microsoft® reserved partition (MSR)

Beginning in Windows 10, the size of the MSR is 16 MB.

Add an MSR to each GPT drive to help with partition management. The MSR is a reserved partition that does not receive a partition ID. It cannot store user data.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

I am not sure what sda5 is. It may be OEM diagnostic tools.  sda6 looks to be the WinRE partition for Windows 8.1. It was required to be larger for Windows 10 so on an upgrade you would get the additional RE 400MB partition. sda7 is your factory reset partition. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 June 2018 - 05:34 PM.

#14 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

Yeah John I just wanted to make sure that I got all the info about all the partitions. People are helping me and I want to give them all the info I can even if it's irrelevant. Just get it out there one time and get it out of the way.

Actually I bought the computer off a lady very cheap. It was giving her difficulty and I told her that I could retrieve the data for her cheaper than the person who she was paying. She had the computer for 6 years and her brother told her to get a new computer.
Since she had it for 6 years I would guess that it probably came out with Windows 8 and she went through the normal updates and upgrades by letting the computer do it on its own
It probably has upgraded but I can't say for sure

I ran check disk on sda4 and defrag but was unable to with SDA 3 because it didn't show on Disk Management
I am going to see what the diskpart utility has to offer. I have ran out of time I have to work tomorrow
I appreciate you hanging in there with me and I'll let you know what's happening as it develops

Ed

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:42 PM

Because Windows 10 is activated the digital license is stored on Microsoft servers. You may be better off doing a clean install although any programs need to be reinstalled. If there is any purchased software on the computer then you would need to get the license keys. At any rate it would be wise to get a disk image to a USB external drive to fall back on in case the clean install went south.

What is the make and model of the computer? I would say it is an upgrade if the computer is 6 years old. It could be Windows 7 or 8. If you can enter UEFI/BIOS and you see a setting called SecureBoot then this would have been an upgrade from Windows 8 or 8.1.

You can verify the activation.

https://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/01/check-if-windows-10-is-activated/

Current version of Windows is 1803 but there have been issues with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users