Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All printers "Driver is Invalid"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paulruby

paulruby

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:29 AM

I have a Windows 10 home (x64) computer that I cannot print to any of my printers.  I can install any printer, but none will print.  If I try to print, I get a white message box stating that the "driver is invalid". I can print to any of the printers from other computers on my network.  It is only this particular pc that cannot print.

I have tried a canon mp560, a brother ml-2750, an hp Officejet Pro 8600, an hp LaserJet 1350, and several others.  All of them give the same results. 

I have uninstalled all printers, and then done an in place upgrade with media created using the latest spring update.  I then reinstalled each of the printers and tested with the same results.  I have compared the permissions and file in the "C:\Windows\System32\spool" directory to other working computers, and they appear identical, and have the same permissions.

Can anyone help me avoid a complete format and reinstall of the OS?  I have software on this machine that would take some time to find, reinstall, and configure.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

Looks like latest update broke the printer drivers For Windows 10 1803 and Microsoft is aware of this:

https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/par_clientsol/forum/par_win/windows-10-1803-upgrade-breaks-printing/7ac336ca-16fd-4fb2-bf2f-ed4ee84942bc

and

https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/155486/~/the-specified-driver-is-invalid-or-windows-cant-print-due-to-a-problem-with

Workaround:

Workaround (please backup the registry first before making changes):

1. Press windows key + R. Type 'regedit' in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey if it exists: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\PostSPUpgrade
  3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes to confirm the removal of the PostSPUpgrade registry key.
  4. Restart your PC (OR run ‘net stop spooler’ followed by ‘net start spooler’ from an elevated command prompt).

Edited by MasterNe0, 14 June 2018 - 09:24 AM.

#3 paulruby

paulruby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

That was perfect.  Thank you so much.

I had spent over 3 days working on this, and this fixed the issue.

#4 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

Your Welcome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users