Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet connection after latest Windows 10 Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nrgstone

nrgstone

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:12 PM

Hello,

Yesterday, I was prompted for an update while shutting my PC off. So I let it shutdown with installing the update. That was yesterday. 

Today, when I turned it on, there was not internet connection.

It was hardwired in when this issue was happening. I've since connected a WiFi adaptor to the PC and the issue is still the same.

PC Specs:

Windows 10 Home Edition

AMD Ryzen 1600

ASRock A320M

16GB Ripjaws DDR4

500GB HP SSD

MSI 1050 TI

Router : Linksys EA9500 Max‑Stream (All other devices still able to connect to the internet.)

ISP: AT&T Fiber

So I've tried :

1. Manually setting the IP/Subnet/Gateway
  2. Renew/Release with ipconfig which results in this error :No Operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 9 while it has its media disconnected
  3. Disabling the firewall
  4. Disabling my AntiVirus (Webroot)
  5. Uninstalled and re-installed the Network Adaptor Drivers
  6. I've tried pinging 8.8.8.8 with 100%

I'm completely at a loss on what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Edited by nrgstone, 13 June 2018 - 10:21 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:57 PM

Have a read of this thread (2 pages)

There are a couple of answers that worked for people in it.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/i-get-an-error-media-disconnected-when-i-try-to/e0541113-cc92-40e6-84fa-1ebb8ac0fd24

#3 nrgstone

nrgstone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:58 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion. I've tried everything in that link and the issue persists.

Any other ideas?

Posted Image

#4 LPTJared

LPTJared

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

Do you have a DNS Server? I know just this past December I encountered an issue where we had to manually set the DNS to get a connection on a cluster of about 30 domain users. If you don't have a DNS Server, you could try setting the DNS to Google's (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4)

Edited by LPTJared, 15 June 2018 - 01:16 PM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

There has been a real rash of corrupted updates to users OS lately.  Some how during the update the data gets corrupted and the result is a scrambled OS that often won't even boot.  I would try doing a restore back to the last update and try newest update again.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

This may sound strange but a few people with problems like this were able to get internet back by doing a powercycle. Shutdown, pull your power cord, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power and reboot. 

If that does not work then do a Network Reset.

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet  > Status > Network reset.
  2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.

If a network reset does not work then roll back the update as mjd420nova suggested.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 June 2018 - 01:18 PM.

#7 nrgstone

nrgstone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:31 PM

There has been a real rash of corrupted updates to users OS lately.  Some how during the update the data gets corrupted and the result is a scrambled OS that often won't even boot.  I would try doing a restore back to the last update and try newest update again.

I'm not sure what caused this. I ended up just doing a complete wipe and reload of the OS and it is working now.

This may sound strange but a few people with problems like this were able to get internet back by doing a powercycle. Shutdown, pull your power cord, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power and reboot. 

If that does not work then do a Network Reset.

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet  > Status > Network reset.
  2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.

If a network reset does not work then roll back the update as mjd420nova suggested.

Thank you for suggestion. I did try this before and again before I reloaded the OS.

Do you have a DNS Server? I know just this past December I encountered an issue where we had to manually set the DNS to get a connection on a cluster of about 30 domain users. If you don't have a DNS Server, you could try setting the DNS to Google's (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4)

I did have and tried different DNS servers and this did not help. Thank you for your help though.

As stated above, I completed wiped the drive and loaded the OS back, and it is working now. So hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Thank you all for your help.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users