Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Home v 1803 5/26/18 17124.112

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aninkling

aninkling

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:11 PM

This made inoperable the wifi driver:  Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3165 in Dell Inspiron Laptop 15-7569.  The "up-to-date" driver on the Dell website is out of date and will not install on this version of Windows.  The computer is pretty much dead in the internet water.  Bluetooth still works.  Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

Roll back to the previous build if you have System Restore active.  Then try the following (and I wrote it long ago, so I am not absolutely certain where Microsoft may have moved things since) to attempt to prevent Windows 10 from updating drivers:  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 aninkling

aninkling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:03 AM

OK.  There were no previous restore points. :(  What I would like to do, I think, is roll back to the last major release... What happened here, I think, is that the person did not update until just this week, along with the Tuesday release.  The wifi immediately quit working and I can't find a new driver anywhere.  So I need to roll back the operating system to pre 1804 and then turn off all major updates for like 6 months, until Dell catches up.  However, the rollback menu provided by the update does not include rolling back the major release... it only lists the security updates. 

(By the way, from the forums, Dell is not very responsive to changes like going to 1804, which is sad and should be considered by anyone who is thinking of purchasing a Dell computer!   Dell makes drivers proprietary and then doesn't keep pace with changes.)  So, I'm thinking I will have to reload the operating system from scratch.   (I've had lots of update problems with computers, and most seem to occur on computers that were updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 during that grace time.  There is something left on the computers that "does not compute" as future operating system versions are released.)

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

"Dell is not very responsive to changes like going to 1804"

I don't know about that: no problems on 3 Dell's I've updated to 1803.

Edited by cmptrgy, 17 June 2018 - 12:56 PM.

#5 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:08 PM

I would give this a try before completely giving up..   Go to Command Prompt (as administrator) type :   dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users