Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with "Downdating" my touchpad driver!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

My Erazer laptop was upgraded from W8 to W8.1 to W10 home.

Along the way, MS in their wisdom updated the Synaptics Touchpad driver and it then ceased to work...along with the Keyboard for a short time, but thankfully I'm allowed to use that now!

I have the Synaptics driver file and have on several occasions re-installed it, having made notes on the process!

Just reading them this time, they advise me to navigate Device Manager>Mice & other devices> to either "HID Compliant Mouse" or PS/2 compatible mouse (I forget which!)

My notes then say "Uninstall Driver", not sure if that was an option in the past, but it's not available now! just a rather scary "Uninstall Device"!

I was originally advised by Medion it would be best to remove the offending driver before installing the old one which works but my notes which were perfectly clear to me at the time, now confuse me!

...maybe Alzheimer's is closing in!!

I have some recollection that I used Add Remove to unseat the dratted updated driver but can't find any concrete evidence in my ramblings to support the wisp of memory!

Can anyone help?  :unsure:

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:29 PM

tried to delete the question as I've somehow managed to do it without totally losing the ability to communicate with the Laptop!!

New notes being drafted as we speak! :busy:

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:47 PM

Glad you got it sorted, but any chance of even a brief summary for the benefit of others of how you did it ?

Purely for information, you can edit a post you have made within 24 hours of making it even to the extent of deleting all the text in it but you cannot delete a post. Only Moderators and Admin have the authority to delete posts and topics, something we do as seldom as possible.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

Hi Chris, I doubt there are many less knowledgable than me but if it helps any one, that's good.

The laptop I have is a Medion Erazer but it isn't easy to find details of the exact model, so I'll paste them here in the event it's important info:-

Medion Erazer X6823 (MD98254) MSN30014987 
CPU:  Intel Core i7-3630QM
GPU:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX
RAM:  16GB DDR3
HDD:  750GB
SSD:  128GB
ODD:  Blu-ray ROM/DVD RW (Plus & Minus)
Display: 15.6" Full HD
WLAN:  Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 with built-in Bluetooth 4.0 function
Battery: 9 Cell
O.S.:  Originally Windows 8 since updated to Windows 8.1 and Windows10 Home.

The only problem that I have encountered since upgrading to Win 10 has been the incompatibility of the Synaptics touchpad with their latest Windows 10 driver which is automatically installed.

The HID Identifier for the Touchpad is :- ACPI\VEN_SYN&DEV_1507 : ACPI\SYN1507 : *SYN1507

An older Driver which works fine with this hardware under Windows 10 is:- http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_v19_0_19_1__C__x86-x64__Win10__Signed__MS_Win10_UXUI_PS2_SMbus.zip

Seems Synaptics are not hosting that link anymore, found another source here, seems clean:- https://www.techspot.com/downloads/drivers/essentials/synaptics-touchpad-windows-10/

and I have several copies squirreled away, ...just in case, and they come in handy since unfortunately, Windows Update insists on installing the latest driver which whilst it may be compatible with Windows 10, does not work with the touchpad.

I have attempted to stop Windows Update from updating this particular driver, but the instruction is just ignored.

I know there is the facility to request Windows to "Never Update Hardware Drivers" which I feel is not in anyone's best interests so I'm not sure if that too would be ignored!

After Windows Update has done it's mischief, the offending driver should be removed prior to installing the correct (older) one.

I had initially thought this should be done via the Driver tab on the properties window in Device Manager, but this is not an option, only "Uninstall Device", which I don't think would have the desired effect!

The correct way to remove the driver is via Programs and Features: Shutting down and waiting 10 minutes before rebooting, ...some times it takes two or three reboots before Windows will acknowledge that this has been done to its satisfaction!

Double clicking on the drivers ".exe" file to start the install wizard followed by another re boot after it has finished, and all should be well.

...until the next major update!

Edited by six-h, 13 June 2018 - 07:07 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for that.

"...until the next major update!"  Sounds like you are going to need to keep these notes handy or, since you have published them here, bookmark the URL of this topic. Topics normally live on in BC until the heat death of the Universe !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users