Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD card not being read / Not even found in Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfii

Wolfii

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:32 AM

So I was going to get videos from my camera's sd card to my pc but when I inserted it, nothing came up. I tried going to the Device manager, and could not find my card reader anywhere. I've checked under all the drop-down lists and there's nothing related to card readers.

I have tried installing new drivers for Realtek 2.0 Card Reader but after installing them, nothing changed.

I've also checked my BIOS during restarting my PC, and there is no card reader listed anywhere there either.

It is strange because I remember the card reader working perfectly a few months ago, but it is like it has disappeared completely from my computer. Can anyone help?? 

Edited by Wolfii, 13 June 2018 - 07:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:16 AM

If the Realtek Card Reader driver was successfully installed then the reader was detected by Windows otherwise it would have failed. 

With the SD card attached open a command prompt and type the following.

diskpart

list disk

Is the SD card detected? How is the SD card shown in Disk Management? 

It's possible the Card Reader has failed. There are cheap readers on Ebay that use the USB port.

#3 Wolfii

Wolfii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:25 AM

I have tried the command prompt and nothing is showing up when typing the commands. Nothing shows up in Disk Management either. 

I think that he card reader as failed, and I will most likely buy a new reader on ebay, Thanks for the help.

If the Realtek Card Reader driver was successfully installed then the reader was detected by Windows otherwise it would have failed. 

With the SD card attached open a command prompt and type the following.

diskpart

list disk

Is the SD card detected? How is the SD card shown in Disk Management? 

It's possible the Card Reader has failed. There are cheap readers on Ebay that use the USB port.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:37 AM

Your Welcome,

Open Device Manager. Click on the top most tree, your pc, and select Task > Scan for Hardware. Does the Card Reader show up? If not then I would get the USB card reader. They work well.

#5 Wolfii

Wolfii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

No, nothing comes up after that. Should I just conclude that my card reader has stopped working? I will definitely get a USB one.

Your Welcome,

Open Device Manager. Click on the top most tree, your pc, and select Task > Scan for Hardware. Does the Card Reader show up? If not then I would get the USB card reader. They work well.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

What is the make and model of the computer and did it come pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10? Was this an upgrade to Windows 10?

You could boot a live linux disk like Mint Cinnamon. It runs from RAM and off the DVD. It does not touch the hard drive. I am pretty sure the card reader is in the linux kernel. Boot Mint to the desktop. Attach your SD card. If detected you will see an icon appear on the desktop. If not click on computer and look in the left pane for the SD card. 

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10 you would first need to disable SecureBoot in  your UEFI settings in order to boot Mint.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

You can burn the iso to a DVD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. If you have a spare hard drive you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Was this SD card detected in another computer?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users