Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headset somehow messed up laptop microphone.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 achevy

achevy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

I recently bought a ONN headset and was trying to set it up with my laptop. It didn't work (separate issue) but ever since I unplugged it today I've been dealing with a feedback loop with my mic, and the mic doesn't appear to be working (trying to use Discord, mic doesn't pick anything up). The only thing that turns this loop off is to go into Settings and turn its access off. I tried toggling that back on and off and disabling/enabling the mic but it still won't work and the feedback loop returns within a few minutes. I'm not sure how to proceed here. I don't want to mess around with uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, not at least until I have a clue as to what's going on. This didn't occur yesterday (the only other day I've used the headset). If this is in the wrong subforum I apologize. (: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 1803 17134.81 Version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134 Dell Inc., Inspiron 5559, x64-based PC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

I have encountered a lot of headphone jacks that get jammed or warped when jacks and cable get yanked.  Dirt can also get in those small holes and often they will cause a short between the audio out and the microphone input.  A little non-residue electronic cleaner in the hole and a clean pin jack to operate the tiny switches that are part of the jack connector.

#3 achevy

achevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:13 PM

I've thought about that but I've been careful about the jack/port. And it started happening on the second day that I've had the headset.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:36 PM

I have a tablet that exhibits the same fault with the headphone/mic jack.  It never gets pulled  but it will go bad every couple days so I have to insert and remove the jack a few times to get things working again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users