Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Slimline word processor problem

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BugsyBeagle

BugsyBeagle

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

I have a new  computer, but it has multiple problems. The most important one right now though is that when I place the cursor somewhere often a window shows up, and when I try to highlight I have to try 3 or 4 times before it works, and sometimes it jumps to another place. I don't even know if this is an internal hardware problem, but it is an infernal one. It might be the mouse, but it's also new.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:37 PM

First, try the same actions in WordPad (It's in Windows Accessories).  Try typing in some gibberish and then try your highlighting to see if it works there.  If it does, we need to know what word processor you are having the problem with and its version (i.e. Microsoft Word 2013)?

If it still misbehaves in Wordpad, reboot into Safe Mode and try it there.  If that works, something is wrong in Widows or the program you are using(see above).  If it screws up in Safe Mode, it's 99.9% a hardware problem; but, I will mention that many optical mice hate some surfaces so, while you're in Safe Mode, try a plain piece of paper like it was a mouse pad.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 BugsyBeagle

BugsyBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

It works fine in Note Pad. My word processor program is Open Office.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

Personally, I would remove Open Office and use Libre Office, a fork. 

Libre Office V6  If you do not wish to install you can download the portable version and unzip to a folder on your desktop. Open Writer and see if you get the mouse skips.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/

Another Free suite that is highly compatible with Microsoft Office is 

Softmaker Free Office.

#5 BugsyBeagle

BugsyBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:28 PM

I tried again Open Office, and it works OK now. Just today there were updates installed that I had been delaying for a few days because I was working on a document, so that must have been the problem. But there are other problems with the computer I will put in other categories of the forum. Thanks for your help.

Edited by BugsyBeagle, 12 June 2018 - 07:28 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

If this computer is new I would consider returning it. New computers shouldn't have problems.

#7 BugsyBeagle

BugsyBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:11 AM

I misjudged it. I used Open Office some more, and there's still the same highlighting problem.  Some of my documents are marked as Microsoft Word but I don't have Word, but they open as Open Office, and I'm supposed to have Libre Office, but I don't seem able to find it. There was  transfer done because the computer I had was finished.

I got the new one in late January, too late to return it, but ur right, I think it's a lemon. It shuts off sometimes on the Internet, I can't print-out or Select All on the Internet, and the DVD player doesn't work, and now doesn't even accept disks.  I'll try to  reach HP again, and they might replace it, but I'll be without a computer for a while, which is a problem.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:08 AM

I don't know if would help but if this is a Windows 10 computer you can do a reset with the option to keep your personal files but you would need to reinstall all your programs. If your personal files are anywhere else other than in Documents and Downloads those will be gone also so it's best to backup your important data first. 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:03 AM

Out of curiosity...

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#10 BugsyBeagle

BugsyBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

I just noticed yesterday that the highlighting problem also happens on the Internet, so it's not the word-processing program. 

I don't think I'll try the reset or what Louis says to do, but what's Safe Mode?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:37 AM

Safe Mode is the OS minus any third party drivers and services. Similar to a clean boot. If the computer operates normally in safe mode then it's possible there is a driver or process conflict.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

I would do what Louis suggested and post a MiniToolbox and speccy log.

#12 BugsyBeagle

BugsyBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

I pressed logo+1 but there's nothing like Update and Security and Recovery. It's just a field to enter  a web address, and pictures. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:30 PM

It is not 1 but an "i" .

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/introducing-windows-10-ways-open-settings

#14 BugsyBeagle

BugsyBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:28 PM

OK, I did it, but it's too small,and the black background is not good for my eyes either, so I restarted it, and it went back to normal.

So how might the MiniToolBox and Speccy help?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:05 PM

Minitoolbox will list event errors and speccy can show the health of your HDD along with the processes running.

You can also attempt a clean boot and see how the computer runs. That may be a better option than Safe Mode.

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users