Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Hacking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ss1990

Ss1990

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

I have recently noticed emails in my sent box that I have personally not sent.

They have been replies to adverts on Craigslist. And they contain personal information about myself including attachments of pictures that have been saved on my phone.

Can anyone explain how this could happen and why it happens?

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2018 - 11:11 AM.
Moved from Win 9x to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:11 PM

Welcome to BC...

Suggest you reset your smart phone to defaults. Once that is done you should change your

email password and anything else that your email provider uses such as a secret word, phone number

or another email address to confirm it is you who is changing your password and using your email account.

Since your phone has been obviously compromised to allow access to your email account and pictures that

is why I suggest doing the above.

If you have other important passwords and user names stored on the phone such as for banking and shopping websites

then you should notify your bank or at least check your accounts every day for unauthorized use.

If after doing the above and you continue to see sent emails that you didn't send...let me know.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 MarkMackerel

MarkMackerel

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:23 PM

Good advice above.

As for your question of how/why this could happen, it's clear that your phone has been compromised.

Do you have a security mechanism set up on the phone (PIN/password/pattern?). If you don't then it's pretty easy for someone to just pick up your phone and gain access. If you do, then I would say that someone has learned the PIN/password/pattern, either from "shoulder surfing" or perhaps you may have showed them?

There is also a possibilty that someone gained access to your phone through malware. You may have been the victim of an attack and the attacker was able to get malicious code running on your device which has given them access.

If you can get the information of what IP address has accessed your email account, that would be very useful information and could clarify if the perpetrator of this conduct is a remote unknown attacker or someone who may have gained physical access to the phone. An IP address in a different country for example would clarify things.

However, you should certainly take the steps outlined in the post above immediately. My post was just meant to be a brainstorm and get you thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users