Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to programming

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Selena3387

Selena3387

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

Hello! I am new to programming languages can anyone help me out where to start learning from? Which programming language to start with?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:18 AM

Is there any reason why you are trying to learn programming?

It's impossible to suggest a language/technology/stack to someone without knowing what their use cases are and what their intent is. Furthermore, there's a lot more to programming than just writing code and getting it to work. It's understanding data structures, algorithms, Big-O notation, secure practices, etc.. The list goes on and on. For every problem there are countless ways to solve it.

Perhaps give us an idea of what you're trying to do, and then we can go about suggesting things for you to look up and learn.

#3 axe0

axe0

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:01 AM

Some languages I'm familiar with:

• PHP, a very good language, IMO, for web development.
  • C, a great language to learn indepth on what happens with everything that you don't see, e.g. that wat processes (or actually the threads of the processes) are doing, but it is a difficult to learn language.
  • C++, a language based on C with the main difference that it's an object oriented programming language (C is not), is also a great language for learning what happens behind the scenes, but again it's a difficult to learn language
  • Java is quite similar to C/C++, mainly used for Android and quite difficult as well.
  • C#, a language based on C++ and Java, is not as difficult as Java or C++ but has very similar capabilities.
  • Python is 1 of the easiest, if not the easiest, language to learn with a high amount of possibilities.

I would recommend to learn Python, because of its easy syntax and learning curve, a site you could use for learning is https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/index.htm

Kind regards,
Axe0

#4 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

Just butting in that's me, if cost is no problem or you can swing it a Teacher or Tutor might double the fun and rate at which you learn you know to show you the ropes so to speak and get a running start, btw I second Python but not with sublime text ide, your teacher or tutor kid down the street will have a favourite simple text editor << those are the basic simple low ones(called text editors), ... the IDE are the high end fancy types(yes some are Free! too!) and they help your spacing and correct formatting so you and anyone can have a quick read of it you know; oh.. and even filling in some of the code so you don't have to type every last little thing, this helps because of compile or run time as in when you have fun and run your program you made.(without errors)<< edit added.  Oh and if a hard-core geek tutor don't have them con you into UNIX that will just confuse you, you need to focus your mind on the syntax of programming in said language.(Python)  Last thought finally to conclude in short YEAH PyScripter!!!!!!!!!

Phew/whew okay I'm done now oh and have fun!

Additionally::::::

I forgot to mention IDE: integrated developers environment / Integrated Development Environment.  Basically its like word, Microsoft Word that you type your HELLO WORLD or first program in to.  The software generally has a run button and if installed right you will see another Window POP UP when you run your program.

Again if you're able to take a class / course , get a teacher's spare time or a tutor they can at least get you up and running so you can practice and run a program or two.  If you buy a book you'll get to an area that is not exactly like what the book says, happens every single time, so this is why I mention getting someone to help you get started and you'll be light years ahead or off and running having fun like right away.

If you've coded / programmed before or in the past well then its pure cake and you'd invest time to become expert.  Alrighty, that's about it on my endl;

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 19 June 2018 - 11:45 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:29 AM

Many years ago, one could enroll in and study introductory computer programming courses at colleges and universities at which there were classes, laboratory sections, and plenty of assignments, study and practice.  Maybe this has now all changed ?

#6 alirafami

alirafami

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:49 AM

C#, Java, PHP, or Javascript.

These languages have the most jobs and the highest average salaries.

All of them have a few things in common - because the structure of most programming languages are very similar.

If you want to make desktop programs Java or C#. Video games, I would go for C#. Websites Web apps? JavaScript or PHP. Mobile apps? Java.

If you're ambition is just to make money you shouldn't be programming at all. Because it is at times, an incredibly frustrating practice. The pace of technology moves quickly, perhaps more quickly than any other industry. Even the most advanced programmers must constantly be learning just to keep up.

But if you truly enjoy solving problems, and seeing something you made do amazing things - then programming just might be right for you.

Cheers, and good luck :)

#7 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:53 PM

#6 icon_share.png alirafami

shouldn't be programming at all. Because it is at times, an incredibly frustrating practice. The pace of technology moves quickly, perhaps more quickly than any other industry.

Now that's a proverb right?, did someone forget to quote? /sarc my pitiful humour. 

There are so many things the profs don't lay down on you RIGHT AWAY, that they should, its all cheerleading squads and hip HIP! HOORAY! when they really should yell out the negative STATISTICS, and some of the horror stories.  Oh, oh sure a few make a good living, but as everyone knows, a lot that didn't but ended with pulling cable, drilling holes in walls or pushing paper for some local wireless whatever or computer store was their $300,000 reward in life.

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 21 August 2018 - 07:58 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#8 CarolDisouza

CarolDisouza

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2018 - 05:03 AM

I am also fresher. PLease suggest me some tips tricks and places where i can explore more about Different languages specially java and I want to become a blockchain developer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users