Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stubborn GPU won't let me install drivers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zeuses23

zeuses23

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:16 AM

So my dad recently gave me his old Sony VGN-Z56GG Laptop, running Windows 7 Professional, and i was just updating and installing new stuff. While installing the drivers I noticed that the GPU drivers weren't getting installed. The GPU in question is an NVidia GeForce 9300M GS. I tried getting the drivers from the official website but that also gave an error saying that the installer isn't compatible with the hardware, and the GPU also started acting funny, showing an error code 43 in device manager. After breaking my head over this issue for 2 days, apparently it turns out that laptop manufacturers are notorious for changing up the hardware and device ID of such components, and that we can only install the driver from the original manufacturer's site. I tried to modify the driver installer itself, but i could see, that my GPU's device ID and other stuff was too different. The only reason why I haven't done that is because the drivers on the site are from 2009, whereas the gpu reached its EOL in 2014.

I then upgraded the laptop to Windows 10, hoping that windows might have drivers for my GPU, but it didn't. The GPU was still showing error 43, so to fix it, I downloaded the drivers from 2009 and tried to install it, but after installing the drivers, the GPU vanished from Device Manager. Turns out, it was hiding as a hidden device with the name VGA Controller. I tried everything to install the drivers, but it now gives error 45. As a last resort, I was(still would if this starts working again) going to flash the VBIOS to an NVidia VBIOS, but nvflash can't detect the gpu.

What should I do now?

Also, if and when this starts working, would you recommend that I should flash my GPU VBIOS?

THANK YOU!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:24 AM

are you deleting/removing your OTHER GPU drivers BEFORE you install the NVidia drivers?

Edited by mikey11, 12 June 2018 - 06:24 AM.

#3 zeuses23

zeuses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:55 AM

are you deleting/removing your OTHER GPU drivers BEFORE you install the NVidia drivers?

I made sure to do that each time i tried installing the other drivers

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

saying that the installer isn't compatible with the hardware

this also happens when you haven't been doing updates on windows 10 to keep it current nvidia's newer drivers want you to keep windows 10 up to date.  so if windows 10 is several updates behind your gonna see this error.

especially if your running a hacked version of win 10 that doesn't do updates.

another thing to look for is if your windows is 32 bit or 64 bit, support for 32 bit systems has been dropped from nvidia several months ago.

#5 zeuses23

zeuses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

o

saying that the installer isn't compatible with the hardware

this also happens when you haven't been doing updates on windows 10 to keep it current nvidia's newer drivers want you to keep windows 10 up to date.  so if windows 10 is several updates behind your gonna see this error.

especially if your running a hacked version of win 10 that doesn't do updates.

another thing to look for is if your windows is 32 bit or 64 bit, support for 32 bit systems has been dropped from nvidia several months ago.

ok so my computer AND windows installation are both x64, and the reason why i bought windows 10 was because i thought that it was because of windows 7 i was getting the incompatible hardware issue. Also i have downloaded all updates, but it still doesnt work :(

Edited by zeuses23, 12 June 2018 - 11:58 AM.

#6 zeuses23

zeuses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:40 PM

ok so ive managed to reinstall the old drivers, but it still doesnt work, and device manager is giving error 43.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

Your Sony VGN-Z56GG has a hybrid pair of GPU's.  One is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD and it automatically switches to the NVidia 9300M GS when the Intel can't handle it.  As such, you have to install the Intel video drivers first and then the NVidia drivers second.  I recently had another forum question where this is exactly what fixed it.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#8 zeuses23

zeuses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:04 AM

Your Sony VGN-Z56GG has a hybrid pair of GPU's.  One is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD and it automatically switches to the NVidia 9300M GS when the Intel can't handle it.  As such, you have to install the Intel video drivers first and then the NVidia drivers second.  I recently had another forum question where this is exactly what fixed it.

ok so ive reinstalled the drivers AGAIN using DDU, and now its showing me error 45.

https://imgur.com/a/wHt0Quz

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:02 AM

You may have to go back to Windows 7; that is an awfully old PC to be trying 10 on.

But; it is showing exactly what it should; the PC switches to (and turns on) the NVidia when it needs to because of the demands on the hardware.

Did you find the BIOS update in the downloads at Sony and have you done that?

https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/laptop-pc-vgn-series/vgn-z56gg?downloads-num=70#downloads

#10 zeuses23

zeuses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:05 AM

You may have to go back to Windows 7; that is an awfully old PC to be trying 10 on.

But; it is showing exactly what it should; the PC switches to (and turns on) the NVidia when it needs to because of the demands on the hardware.

Did you find the BIOS update in the downloads at Sony and have you done that?

https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/laptop-pc-vgn-series/vgn-z56gg?downloads-num=70#downloads

Thank you so much for the reply. So in the good old times when this laptop was working perfectly(as far as i can remember), there was an nvidia control panel, and all that stuff that you would expect from a switchable graphics computer. Now just its shadow lingers(literally) in device manager. I'm starting to think that its a hardware issue, but i couldnt find anyway to verify that, ESPECIALLY in a laptop.

P.S:- I updated the BIOS before i even found out about this issue. i really dont want that to be the issue lol

Edited by zeuses23, 13 June 2018 - 10:05 AM.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:32 AM

The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD is not fully compliant with the Windows 10 graphics requirements so is only limping as it is.  The key is that Sony customized both of the drivers to facilitate the handoff and early Hybrid videos (especially) will not work with anything but those Sony drivers which is one reason why I said you may have to revert to Windows 7.

#12 zeuses23

zeuses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD is not fully compliant with the Windows 10 graphics requirements so is only limping as it is.  The key is that Sony customized both of the drivers to facilitate the handoff and early Hybrid videos (especially) will not work with anything but those Sony drivers which is one reason why I said you may have to revert to Windows 7.

oh god. i cant really buy a laptop rn, so i guess ill do that. But before going through that process, is there away of knowing whether the NVidia GPU is dead, or its Windows 10 wrecking things?

Edited by zeuses23, 13 June 2018 - 10:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users