Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Settings for HDD Enclosure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 d2produce

d2produce

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:39 PM

So, I have 2x MediaSonic ProBox HDD Enclosures with 3x hard drives in each one.

I'm not sure if the issue is with the Fans of the ProBox or the Hard Drives themselves.  Something is making a fan-like noise.  I'm thinking it's both.

When I have the ProBoxs hooked up to my Gigabyte Brix Mini PC, the ProBox fans or the hard drives don't run all the time.  The only time the fans or the hard drives run  is if they are accessed, say by clicking on one of the drives in Windows explorer, I will hear the drives spin up, and eventually the fan kicks in.  And then about 10 or 20 minutes later, the drives go completely silent agian.

When I connect the ProBoxs to my Dell Latitude however, the fans and the drives are constantly running.

Why would my Brix let the drives/ProBoxs go quiet, but the Latitude always has them active?

What settings can I change in Windows 10 to fix the problem with the Latitude?

@britechguy

Both Computers Power Plans are set to:
Turn off Hard Disk after 20 Minutes
USB Suspend: Enabled

Edited by d2produce, 11 June 2018 - 07:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:00 PM

Check your Control Panel, Power Options on both machines to see what power plan is in use on each.

It may be as easy as changing your power plan.

If the power plans match, then dig a little further by clicking on the Change plan settings link, followed by the Change advanced power settings link in the next dialog and looking under either the Hard Drive settings, USB Settings (USB Selective suspend settings), or both to see how they line up [or don't in this case].

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 d2produce

d2produce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:08 AM

Check your Control Panel, Power Options on both machines to see what power plan is in use on each.

It may be as easy as changing your power plan.

If the power plans match, then dig a little further by clicking on the Change plan settings link, followed by the Change advanced power settings link in the next dialog and looking under either the Hard Drive settings, USB Settings (USB Selective suspend settings), or both to see how they line up [or don't in this case].

I'm thinking it's the Selective Suspend that's allowing my Brix Mini PC to put those usb enclosures to sleep, but my Dell Latitude full tower, for some reason isn't seeing those USB devices as worthy of Selective Suspend.  I've been googling "selective suspend not working" with minimal results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users