Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to buy small inexpensive laptop

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:54 PM

Indeed, the August/September era is also my goal to get my laptop.

Got great deals on both new and refurbs.

The one I mentioned that I bought was, in fact, NEW!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:57 PM

JaxJax,

Watching your thread, I may be in the market for a new cheap laptop soon, was able to rescue mine for a bit longer. What is a chromebook, just uses google?

Jim

Yeah, pretty much that's what it is - being confined with Google - its them or nothing, an idea that is a real turnoff to me.

#18 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

JaxJax,

Watching your thread, I may be in the market for a new cheap laptop soon, was able to rescue mine for a bit longer. What is a chromebook, just uses google?

Jim

Yeah, pretty much that's what it is - being confined with Google - its them or nothing, an idea that is a real turnoff to me.

ChromeOS is not all that different than Android.  There are plenty of third-party apps, including web browsers, that exist for it.

I don't even understand what "being confined with Google" means in the context of Android or ChromeOS.  It's like saying "being confined with Microsoft" if you use a Windows machine or "being confined with Apple" [which is actually very close to the truth] if you use a Mac or iOS device.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#19 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:02 PM

JaxJax,

Jim

ChromeOS is not all that different than Android.  There are plenty of third-party apps, including web browsers, that exist for it.

I don't even understand what "being confined with Google" means in the context of Android or ChromeOS.  It's like saying "being confined with Microsoft" if you use a Windows machine or "being confined with Apple" [which is actually very close to the truth] if you use a Mac or iOS device.

I'm sure there's gotta be a difference (why are they considerably cheaper, for one thing) and life has too many hassles already that we have to try to work around.   There's probably a way but I don't wanna have to spend time trying to find it.   You have to choose your battles.  I DON'T LIKE GOOGLE, I don't trust Google, but in truth I don't trust many "entities" nowadays.   Freedom of speech and opinion seems to be under siege and leading the pac is Google.

I have an Amazon Tablet that I would mostly like, I think, if I could use other browsers and aps but I'm stuck with theirs.  Although there's supposed to be some convoluted way (like I said) around that but I'm not ambitious enough to "go there".  Too many other dragons need slaying.

I just noticed your location, could be part of the reason for our different opinion is your proximity to DC Establishment, bedfellows with Google.

Edited by JayJax, 18 July 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#20 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,990 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

I just noticed your location, could be part of the reason for our different opinion is your proximity to DC Establishment, bedfellows with Google.

I would caution you against projecting your ideas and attitudes onto others that you don't know in any meaningful way.

If you distrust entities (and who doesn't, to some extent or another) it's mighty darned difficult to find a major computer and/or software maker that doesn't deserve a great deal of distrust and cynicism thrown its way.   Neither, though, helps one to make a reasoned choice between the options out there (and clear thinking rather than making decisions based on nothing other than what one's gut feels requires slaying the dragon that one's personal opinions are necessarily valid absent lots of research).

Edited by britechguy, 18 July 2018 - 04:58 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#21 JayR88

JayR88

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:47 AM

More Clocks, and more Transistors..It is the stuff that works with and more Logic and Brain like.

#22 deancollins

deancollins

• Banned Spammer
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:07 AM

I've been using Lenovo but different kind of model. It performs very good.

#23 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:08 PM

I've been using Lenovo but different kind of model. It performs very good.

I've heard a few other positive comments about Lenovo.

#24 winklegiumulyn345

winklegiumulyn345

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:24 PM

Luck time is fast approaching.  August and September is retail time for back-to-school bargain purchases.  Check the office supply stores and the computer/electronics stores.  I bought a 15 inch Windows 10 laptop two years ago for UNDER $300.  It was listed on-sale for about $450, but there was then given an unexpected immediate rebate.

Yeah, during this season I'm on the lookout for some great deals too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users