Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to buy small inexpensive laptop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

I'd appreciate advice - not planning on spending a lot (budget's tight as usual) I just would use it at home for photos, browsing the net and a few simple programs like word processing and spreadsheets.

I don't want a chromebook.     Right now I have a Windows 8.1 Laptop that needs replacing soon.

I think this time I want something small like 12 inches or so.  I'm open to suggestions but would also like feedback on these few I've considered (also any info about this new eMMC SSD thing)

Lenovo N22 11.6-inch High Performance Laptop Notebook (New Premium Edition) (Intel Dual-Core Processor N3060 1.60GHz, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC SSD,Windows 10 Pro

Dell i3168-3272GRY 11.6" HD 2-in-1 Laptop (Intel Pentium, 4GB, 500 GB HDD, Windows 10)

14.1" Fusion5 Laptop Computer - (Full HD, 4GB RAM, 64GB STORAGE, Intel Quad-Core, USB 3.0, Bluetooth

HP Lightweight Stream Pro 11.6" Notebook (Intel Celeron N3060, 4GB Ram, 64GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics, Windows 10Pro)

THANKS VERY MUCH.  :bowdown:

Jay

Edited by JayJax, 11 June 2018 - 05:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

Well that depends on your market, are you willing to go refurbished?

Lower end laptops tend to be a bit of a mixed bag these days some good some bad.

Emmc SDD's are just solid state drives, low capacity but high speeds compared to traditional drives. Usually such drives can be found in smartphones and the like.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:24 PM

I'm really not into refurbished.  I guess it could be a good deal but it could also be a disaster/rip-off so I've never "gone" there.

I just want something preferably below $300 and hopefully reliable.   It doesn't need to be super-speedy but of course, within limits not wanting anything toooo slow..

What are the pro's and con's of the EMMC SSD's as opposed to traditional driver.

Since I'm choosing smaller for portability, long battery life would be a big plus.

I guess right now based on what you've said about the EMMC issues, I'm thinking the Lenovo N22 because it seems to have the highest percentage of good reviews being overall positive.  What would you choose of the above?   Obviously there are better computers but I can't expect superfast / capacity for the same price as the lower end.

Edited by JayJax, 11 June 2018 - 10:29 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:38 PM

Well for below $300 then refurbished is the only real way to go, as the majority of sub $300 laptops are either Chromebooks or junk.

There is no shame in refurbished especially on a budget, as long as its certified refurbished you should be fine.

As for the pros and cons of EMMC SSD's well:

Pros: faster than standard hard drives

Cons: far less space and are soldered in.

Its modern laptops reliance on EMMC SSD is why i am not big on modern budget laptops, they offer so little space and on a windows device this is rather crap.

A lot of modern budget laptops have many other prat falls such has having no real way to up your space or RAM plus some dont even have removable batteries.

This is why I will be going refurbished for my next laptop, its not worth the limitations modern budget laptops have.

These days if you want a good laptop you have to pay over $400 for one

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 June 2018 - 10:41 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:16 PM

Well for below $300 then refurbished is the only real way to go, as the majority of sub $300 laptops are either Chromebooks or junk.

There is no shame in refurbished especially on a budget, as long as its certified refurbished you should be fine.

As for the pros and cons of EMMC SSD's well:

Pros: faster than standard hard drives

Cons: far less space and are soldered in.

Its modern laptops reliance on EMMC SSD is why i am not big on modern budget laptops, they offer so little space and on a windows device this is rather crap.

A lot of modern budget laptops have many other prat falls such has having no real way to up your space or RAM plus some dont even have removable batteries.

This is why I will be going refurbished for my next laptop, its not worth the limitations modern budget laptops have.

These days if you want a good laptop you have to pay over $400 for one

How do you determine if something is CERTIFIED REFURBISHED?

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:58 AM

Usually it will just say so, if you go to amazon or microcenter or Wal-mart as well.

Big sellers like amazon will exchange you if you dont get something that works.

Edited by MadmanRB, 15 June 2018 - 10:59 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:50 PM

Usually it will just say so, if you go to amazon or microcenter or Wal-mart as well.

Big sellers like amazon will exchange you if you dont get something that works.

Thanks I appreciate the information.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:55 PM

Just try to steer clear of Ebay, i mean yeah ebay is better than it was but you are better off with a company that takes returns and can reimburse you.

In your case i think maybe Amazon is your best bet, that or newegg.

Newegg usually sells more direct but has the cons of shipping fees and taxes, Amazon has free shipping if you have prime but you have to look into the supplier a bit more.

Edited by MadmanRB, 15 June 2018 - 03:58 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:14 AM

Luck time is fast approaching.  August and September is retail time for back-to-school bargain purchases.  Check the office supply stores and the computer/electronics stores.  I bought a 15 inch Windows 10 laptop two years ago for UNDER $300.  It was listed on-sale for about $450, but there was then given an unexpected immediate rebate.

Edited by cafejose, 17 June 2018 - 12:15 AM.

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:18 PM

Just try to steer clear of Ebay, i mean yeah ebay is better than it was but you are better off with a company that takes returns and can reimburse you.

In your case i think maybe Amazon is your best bet, that or newegg.

Newegg usually sells more direct but has the cons of shipping fees and taxes, Amazon has free shipping if you have prime but you have to look into the supplier a bit more.

I despise Ebay so no problem there thanks.

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:20 PM

Luck time is fast approaching.  August and September is retail time for back-to-school bargain purchases.  Check the office supply stores and the computer/electronics stores.  I bought a 15 inch Windows 10 laptop two years ago for UNDER $300.  It was listed on-sale for about $450, but there was then given an unexpected immediate rebate.

Yes I thought about that.   We also have "no-tax" days before school starts if I can make it till then.   Thx for suggestion.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:40 AM

Indeed, the August/September era is also my goal to get my laptop.

Got great deals on both new and refurbs.

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 June 2018 - 06:40 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:41 AM

I prefer the terminology (and it's commonly used) "Manufacturer Refurbished."

When you see that used it means that the maker of said device is the one that did the refurbishing.  Very often that amounts to fixing something very trivial that somehow made it through QA or that was damage that occurred during shipping.

You should be able to easily source a very good laptop in almost any configuration you desire as far as HDD or SSD goes for $300 or under in the manufacturer refurbished market.

Also, given your description of what you intend to use it for, I would strongly urge you to consider a somewhat larger screen unless ultra-portability is near the very top of your list of absolute musts.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:53 AM

I prefer the terminology (and it's commonly used) "Manufacturer Refurbished."

When you see that used it means that the maker of said device is the one that did the refurbishing.  Very often that amounts to fixing something very trivial that somehow made it through QA or that was damage that occurred during shipping.

You should be able to easily source a very good laptop in almost any configuration you desire as far as HDD or SSD goes for $300 or under in the manufacturer refurbished market.

Also, given your description of what you intend to use it for, I would strongly urge you to consider a somewhat larger screen unless ultra-portability is near the very top of your list of absolute musts.

An important distinction, thanks for pointing it out "Manufacturer Refurbished".

PORTABILITY is sort of high on my list of considerations here even though years ago I would not have considered something so small.  But I've decided that since I have a desktop (an I-Mac) with a large screen available to me, that I really just want something simple that I can use outdoors - something with a longlasting battery that can be taken "wherever" without a lot of hassle.   I appreciate your input and agree that for some of my needs a small laptop would have deficiencies.   Its nice to have a backup computer and "choices".   Right now I think my choice is to hopefully have two well-functioning computers (why does it always seem one or the other is in need of repair or replacing).

Life is a learning process - if I had it to do over I would not have invested in a Mac desktop, its inconvenient to switch back and forth.   I'm a master of neither Mac or Windows, it would be better to have one system I knew well.

Off the subject, but I was reading your quote about the confusion that seems to exist between personal opinion and fact and I must say I agree and share your frustration with the morons who insist that their ideas are GOSPEL.

Edited by JayJax, 20 June 2018 - 12:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users