Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Software will not update, Reader will not run

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 progan01

progan01

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

I didn't see anything in the forum about this problem I've been having.

Adobe Flash will not patch. That is, I have downloaded the most-recent patch but double-clicking it does not launch the updater. In addition, about a week ago, Acrobat Reader apparently updated itself on its own (I thought I had requested that it not do that) and now it will not stay open for longer than thirty seconds.

This behavior greatly concerns me, because I just had Windows 10 reinstalled two months ago to cure a different problem. I should say that I suspected something else was amiss then because I could not get my machine to connect to the internet in Safe Mode.

I've run my AV and antimalware packages and can find no obvious cause. I don't find any obvious hardware problems with AdAstra. I should say that my motherboard's built-in adapter failed and its function is now being handled with an adapter card. The driver keeps loading for both, but the problem does not moderate whether I disable the non-functional adapter or not.

Regardless of present clear scans, a machine I cannot patch is vulnerable the longer this problem continues. I suspect something is interfering with the file system at a deep level, but if a reinstall didn't fix it, I've got to dig and find the actual cause. I appeal to the community for help.

I have a homebuilt system running Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, v1803 build 17134.81, with an MSi 990FXA-GD80 V2 Military Class II motherboard, an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T processor running at 3.3 GHz, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 ti video card, 16 GB of RAM, and a 500Gb Samsung SSD C: drive.

Has anybody else seen anything like this? I'm baffled.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 progan01

progan01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:44 PM

Update: The problem is progressing.

My MSI motherboard updater only runs in automatic mode, on its predetermined schedule - I can't launch it myself.

Of greater concern is the inability of Device Manager to launch unless it's from the Disk Management menu. Otherwise I would not be able to update my drivers -- which are all up-to-date, I find. Ditto the Windows updates.

I have Steam and find that Flight Simulator X will not launch, either from the Steam app or from the program icon on C:, even if I specify launching it with Administrator rights.

I have Macecraft jv16 Power Tools for utilities, but the latest version hangs with these scans not yet completed:

Broken shortcut scan: Start menu and desktop

File extension scan

File reference scan (HKEY_USERS)

File scan: Temp file finder

History scan: Common program history/MRU data finder

Leftover software data scan

Two days ago it was only three uncompleted scans.

I discovered that Windows was automatically defragging and optimizing my C: drive, which is an SSD and does not need optimization. I have turned it off but do not see any improvement.

I have also removed Malwarebytes completely, as I had lost the ability to turn off scans. I don't think this was the cause of the problem -- as I have said, this looks to be a low-level system problem, something that could survive a system reinstall.

I now have to wonder if this has anything to do with the degraded 'Save' function. Sometimes the file folder I want to save something in does not come up -- only the folder in which it resides. And sometimes the Save window defaults to its 'Options' screen, not the file folder contents. This has been a long-standing irritation, which I put down to the 1709 W10 update. Perhaps it's more than that. I can't tell.

I don't want to wipe my C: drive and start over from the bare metal; this stops all other work for more than a week to reinstall software, and I don't have the luxury of time. If anybody has any insight into this problem, your advice and aid would be deeply appreciated. Thanks for reading this far.

#3 progan01

progan01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:41 PM

I finally resolved the problem, which was a serious BIOS malfunction, with a system refresh. That seems to have cleared up the upgrade problem with Adobe software.

This topic can now be closed.

---->P!

#4 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:27 AM

Hello.

Glad to hear you solved it and thanks for sharing the solution with us. :clapping:

#5 progan01

progan01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:26 PM

All part of a day's work for......    Bicycle Repairman.  >hawk, sniff<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users