Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN 95/98/ME extended/logical partition problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 computerdownhouse

computerdownhouse

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

Svend Olaf Mikkelsen wrote extensively about these issues almost twenty years ago.

"If the last partition in any extended partition is not a FAT partition, each disk cannot contain more than one primary FAT partition. If this rule is not followed, data damage can occur. [...] If the last partition in any extended partition is not a FAT partition, all extended partitions should be of the same type. If one disk has an extended partition type 0F, all extended partition on all disks in the system must be type 0F. Damage can occur if this rule is not followed. [...] If a disk is larger [than] 32 GB, you have to consider the Windows 98 32 GB problem. If the problem is present, disk read and write will wrap at 32 GB in Windows 98 (but not DOS)."

What are the technical reasons behind these issues? (I know that the maximum number of cylinders - FFFFh - causes the 32GB limit, but am surprised that it doesn't also affect DOS.)

I'm not running these systems myself and have no direct experience.

I understand that these consumer versions of Windows grew out of MS-DOS, unlike the NT business editions (e.g. WINNT 4.0, W2K) which have a different architecture and use pure LBA. FWIW, WINNT 4.0, for example, can read and write to pre-formatted NTFS hdds larger than 8gb even if your BIOS (no Int 13h extensions) & IDE/SCSI busmaster drivers are inadequate.

Did the contemporaneous NT Windows O/S suffer these same issues, in particular Win NT 4.0 or Windows 2000?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users