Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(Solved) How to flash American Megatrends BIOS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shortswiss

shortswiss

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

I have a microcode for American Megatrends mobo that I would like FLASH, a process that is documented in a tutorial on a (albeit very old) thread on another forum and reported/confirmed to work. The author of tutorial provides a custom flash file that subsequent posts by users on that thread validate. My problem is the utility, when I try it, returns (9998) error***. I assume this related to the fact I'm running the utlity on XP, trying to apply flash to a motherboard originally shipped with Vista in 2009.

To refresh, tutorial instructs

Navigate to HP website, download HP.exe

run HP.exe, which extracts afuwin32.exe (American Megatrends flaher utility) and associated (outdated) flash files to temp folder

Intercept these files, replace old "NUT5.12" (flash file) with the updated equivalent, the one provided in tutorial.

Cont. with HP.exe as normal.

The reason d'etre is to extend CPU support for mobo.

FWIW I have afuwin32.exe aquired from else where but unsure how to combine it with the flash file. Any ideas?

Alternatively there is the DOS BOOT method. But I'm not too confident here. Apparently it involves renaming flash file to read bios.rom, copy to (DOS) USB and boot :S I wouldn't wish to brick this thing, hence this post :). Not sure how to proceed.

I'd really like to upgrade the CPU on this board!

***RE: 9998, a quick google search indicates that this does indeed relate to incorrect OS as executioner of the utility. Source: HP website

Edited by shortswiss, 11 June 2018 - 06:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shortswiss

shortswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

Update:

I figured out a way, partly, took the AFUWIN.exe located in original .exe found on HP website, and ran a batch script that called AFUWIN.exe in there, with associated commands as seen around the web:

AFUWIN.EXE NUT5.12 /p /b /n /s

Result:
untitled.png

Process did not prompt restart, I did that manually, The BIOS date and revision # seems to be the same (02/17/2009, v5.12). Nothing appears to have changed....

I could test by replacing CPU but I'm reluctant (low on thermal paste).

Upon further reading that thread already mentioned, its not clear if it actually worked for those who posted toward the end.

Edited by shortswiss, 11 June 2018 - 06:19 PM.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

whats the model number of the motherboard?

#4 shortswiss

shortswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:56 PM

Hi mighty

Hp code name Nutmeg GL6E

aka

Pegatron APX78-BN

Aforementioned thread that expands on the alleged 'NUT5.12'. User JeanGab31 seems to report success @ post 6.

I had very valid reasons for using this baby btw :tophat:

Also, that screenshot above was the 2nd attempt. As you can see, existing ROM ID is 'APX78052'. I'm guessing that this should read something else and that flash hasn't altered anything? Could be wrong.

Edit: I've attached the custom flash file within .zip should anyone want a peek.

Attached Files

Edited by shortswiss, 11 June 2018 - 06:29 PM.

#5 shortswiss

shortswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:09 PM

I guess BIOS flash with Vista via Virtual machine is out of the question.

#6 shortswiss

shortswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:58 PM

SUCCESS The flash file provided on that forum does indeed work.

Thanks for the acknowledgment in any case!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users